CBR1100XX.org Forum

Wilber Fork Springs

02XXCA

Anyone used other than the 2.5 wt recomended on the original group buy? I was going to replace the fork oil and wanted feedback on other alternatives.

I'm using RaceTech instead of the Wilber springs, but that shouldn't affect the choice of oil weight. I've never heard of anyone using 2.5W in any street bike. I started with 5W when I installed the springs and gold valves, but it was a little too cushy for track days and 10W was too hard for the street. I mixed the two and found a happy medium.

I just had my forks rebuilt with Racetech springs & Gold Valves. When they assembled them, they used 5wt oil. If you are only changing the springs though, 2.5wt might be ok. The difference is in the diameter of the oil flow holes in the valves. The OEM ones have holes about 1.5-2mm diameter, the gold valves would have been 4-6mm diameter, so they let the oil flow better, controlled only by the shims.

I just had my forks rebuilt with Racetech springs & Gold Valves. When they assembled them, they used 5wt oil. If you are only changing the springs though, 2.5wt might be ok. The difference is in the diameter of the oil flow holes in the valves. The OEM ones have holes about 1.5-2mm diameter, the gold valves would have been 4-6mm diameter, so they let the oil flow better, controlled only by the shims.

Yeah as these springs were used alot in europe, the feedback we got from Wilber was to use 2.5 weight, the new springs removed the overly harsh bottoming out that the stock springs had when pulling into a driveway over small lip. They still feely fairly soft so I thought about mixing 2.5 with 5 wt to compromise.

Yeah as these springs were used alot in europe, the feedback we got from Wilber was to use 2.5 weight, the new springs removed the overly harsh bottoming out that the stock springs had when pulling into a driveway over small lip. They still feely fairly soft so I thought about mixing 2.5 with 5 wt to compromise.

I just redid my fork with race tech internals and used their 3.5-5w oil. Might be the ticket for what you want.