CBR1100XX.org Forum

Longest wearing front tires

cbrxxquad

Not interested in grip, I got grip, but I need a front tire,,,er tries that will wear in the middle a long time. I have 8,000 on the first pair of d220's and have some to go. Only see wear in the center half of the tire with 10 lb's pressure. Wish I could find a square profile tire, but they are not made in 17's. Touring type and hard is the best for the quads front.

Any, sudgestions? Tomek? I saw your post on the mac's

Have you looked into any smaller sized directional performance tires that would normally work on a cage? I know a couple of my friends that have triked Wings are running Goodyear Eagle GT's....dunno about the availability in 17 inch size though.

I get over 10K from Metz SportTec M1's...

And I have the 6mm rear shock shim, and hit the twisties fairly hard! Very pleased with them - all that mileage and never a slip.

Have you looked into any smaller sized directional performance tires that would normally work on a cage? I know a couple of my friends that have triked Wings are running Goodyear Eagle GT's....dunno about the availability in 17 inch size though.

have a set of 205 40 17 but they hydroplane in the wet.

You may wanna check that Metzeler Marathon 880 or something like that,it supposely lasts forever.Not really sport tire thought.

looks like a good pick for what I am looking to do.

Stan since the tires are cheep why not look at the Shinko tires. They have high mileage tires and price seems right. Should be easy enough to change them on the quad if you don't like them.

Actually, that is the problem. The wheels don't have the lower center so the only way to change the tire is to remove all 30 bolts and dismantel the wheel, and to reseal again. It takes a clamp to hold it close enough to get the bolts back in and the nut on the back side. I have to put them on the floor on a big piece of rubber and stand on them and reach through the spokes and put the nut on two of the bolts to hold together. Have to use silicone to seal.

It really is a pain. Most of the time it takes two people and about an hour a wheel.

Currently have about 11k on my set of Pilot Roads.

The rear is completely shot but the front still looks

good for maybe another 2k.

Damn Doug,

You have been needing new tires for four months now. Hop to it, don't want to see you hurt.

I have gotten 14K + out of Pilot Road fronts, they weren't worn through, but very cupped.