CBR1100XX.org Forum

Clutch Master Cylinder

nomuseo

In the process of attemting to change my clutch fluid, I failed at the first hurdle, i managed to strip the head off one of the Master Cyliner screws that I think King Kong had secured in place. Any bright ideas on how to get the screw out without a major job????

In the process of attemting to change my clutch fluid, I failed at the first hurdle, i managed to strip the head off one of the Master Cyliner screws that I think King Kong had secured in place. Any bright ideas on how to get the screw out without a major job????

These screws can sit a bit hard since they are in held in tension by the rubber gasket under the cover. Try to clamp down the cover a bit, knock in a torx bit in the screw head and then is should loose. Another method that will work is to use a special screwdriver that turns when you punch the back of it. I dont know the correct term for it but you can see it in the pic below.

post-3595-1201195272.jpg

These screws can sit a bit hard since they are in held in tension by the rubber gasket under the cover. Try to clamp down the cover a bit, knock in a torx bit in the screw head and then is should loose. Another method that will work is to use a special screwdriver that turns when you punch the back of it. I dont know the correct term for it but you can see it in the pic below.

It's called a "Hand Impact Wrench". You don't see them much anymore since air-impacts have gotten so cheap.

If there is not enough meat left in the screw head for R1000's suggestions, you could carefully drill the head off of the screw to remove the cap. Then you should be able to get pliers or vice-grips on what is left. This is a delicate operation that requires patience. If that's not you, it might be easier to just buy a used one off of EBay.

Which ever way you go, put a little silicone grease on the screws before tightening. This will keep out moisture and provide lubrication.

The tool pictured is also called an "impact driver", and is still commonly used, especially for removing screws.

What you can try is to use a #2 Philips screwdriver, and hammer it into what is left of the screw. This will help grab the screw, as well as freeing it up with the hammering. This is the part that makes impact wrenches so effective.

If the screw is completely stripped, you're only option is to drill the head of it off as described above.

For the future.

Not all phillips screwdrivers are the same. I am now carrying different brands for different jobs. A screwdriver made by Vessell is designed for the shape of the Asian screws we see today. It fits the master cylinder screws much better than my SK or Snapon drivers.

With all the stuff I work on being made in China, they have become a Must Have.