CBR1100XX.org Forum

Greasing/Packing Roller Bearings

ActionStarCBRxx

I am replacing the needle roller bearings in my suspension since had I had the parts powder coated. It looks like from the factory (Honda) the bearings I recieved already have a clear grease packed in them. Do I need to re-pack/add more grease inside the bearings or is it fine the way it came from the factory? If I do repack them I am assuming I need to use a waterproof moly grease?

Thanks!

I would leave them like they are. Clean the outside and where they are going and install. The grease in needle bearings is dependant on use and can be very specific to rpm. Some I have on some high rpm high precision ball bearings took moths to get the replacement grease, and was 75 dollars for a pint. The amount is even more important. No more than 20% of the total void can be filled or bearing failure will result.

Heavy shit for sure. Use a syringe to fill.

No more than 20% of the total void can be filled or bearing failure will result.

I am replacing the needle roller bearings in my suspension

Since (I'm guessing) he is talking about the bearings in the rear link, and not a high rpm bearing, would your "20% of total void" still hold true? There is very little movement VS a wheel bearing.

Its not even the wheel bearing in question... its the needle/roller bearings in the suspension linkages.

How do you know which grease for the right application? I would think that head bearings, suspension, and swing arm bearings would all be the same type of application? And the wheel bearings would be something a little better?

More input on the bearings would be cool if you would!!

Thanks again gentlemen!

Roller bearings aren't that big of a deal. They move very little compaired to ball bearings like in your wheels.

If it was me, i'd put them in just the way they are. Just make sure the surrounding areas are very clean and nothing is misalligned.

Sorry, I was just saying leave like it is normally.

The example was to emphisize the possibilitys that can come up.

The application ditcates the type and amount.

Some are lubed to prevent mosture and rust only.

I would buy a small tub of synthetic grease, and use that for all suspension points, including steering head bearings.

I would also grease them liberally upon install, and make sure everything is as clean as possible.

Thanks all for the input! I put them in yesterday.

I feel so manly now... you know how in the Role playing games like Everquest or such...that you get skill points for completing certian things? Well baby my score just rocketed!! (well went up a little!)

For this project... I actually went out and bought a real POS china 12k press from Norther Tool. I cleaned everything real good like suggested (polished would be the better word), pressed the bearings in without mis-aligning the bearings, and re-installed the linkage again... without destroying a bearing... scratching the heck out of a newly powder coated part... and did not have any left over parts!!

HOW COOL IS THAT!! :icon_eyebrows:

Anyway's as always thanks for the help and a great forum!

K