CBR1100XX.org Forum

Counter Sprocket Replacement

Dragonslayer

Okay,

I am going to replace my sprockets with his chain and have never attempted this on the Bird. I need to know if I will need to drain the clutch fluid since it appears the line runs into the cover for the counter sprocket. The manual I have does not state if this is needed.

Any help would be appreciated

Kevin

Dont need to drain it, just dont touch the lever when you have the cover off. take the 8mm screws off around the edges of the cover only.

You'll need a 14 mm socket to get the sprocket bolt out. and an arm as big as N1k's to break that sucker loose.

a 2x4 through the wheel to keep it from turning helps.

Dont need to drain it, just dont touch the lever when you have the cover off. take the 8mm screws off around the edges of the cover only.

You'll need a 14 mm socket to get the sprocket bolt out. and an arm as big as N1k's to break that sucker loose.

a 2x4 through the wheel to keep it from turning helps.

Thanks,

I knew I could count on getting an answer pretty quick on this forum. Kinda like I told the little lady, "Post your question, and walk away for a few moments and hit refresh and believe it ornot you will usually have an answer when you get back"

gotta love this internet thing.

Kevin

Thanks again.

Well,

I got it done, but I am wondering wether the tech that did the last install was Pee Wee Herman :icon_redface: since I needed none of the advice suggested above to loosen the bolt holding the counter sprocket in place. In fact all that was rquired was the use of my fingers and to think how many times I have had that bike deep in the triple digits. :icon_naughty:

Has anyone had a problem with the bolt loosening after being torqued properly? Just curious if this is something I should watch closer or what. I am glad I got a kink in the chain and thought to replace the sprockets and chain or who knows what would have happened.

Kevin

Well,

I got it done, but I am wondering wether the tech that did the last install was Pee Wee Herman :icon_redface: since I needed none of the advice suggested above to loosen the bolt holding the counter sprocket in place. In fact all that was rquired was the use of my fingers and to think how many times I have had that bike deep in the triple digits. :icon_naughty:

Has anyone had a problem with the bolt loosening after being torqued properly? Just curious if this is something I should watch closer or what. I am glad I got a kink in the chain and thought to replace the sprockets and chain or who knows what would have happened.

Kevin

Never had mine come loose. Yet another reason to DIY!

Well,

Kevin

Just to be safe, I used blue loctite on the bolt.

Well,

Kevin

It's happened to me more than once. Luckily Honda was nice enough to put that nub on the back of the cover to keep the bolt from coming all the way out. When your chain all of a sudden seems real tight, that bolt is the first thing you should check.

The reason my bolt was coming loose was because I had changed sprockets and the new one was just a little wider at the shaft than the factory sprocket. This caused the washer on the bolt to be "dished" when tightened. It was always trying to force the bolt out. Even with blue Loctite it wouldn't stay. A small spacer washer solved the problem. When the bolt is tight, the sprocket should still be able to slide back and forth on the shaft a few thousands of an inch.

It's happened to me more than once. Luckily Honda was nice enough to put that nub on the back of the cover to keep the bolt from coming all the way out. When your chain all of a sudden seems real tight, that bolt is the first thing you should check.

The reason my bolt was coming loose was because I had changed sprockets and the new one was just a little wider at the shaft than the factory sprocket. This caused the washer on the bolt to be "dished" when tightened. It was always trying to force the bolt out. Even with blue Loctite it wouldn't stay. A small spacer washer solved the problem. When the bolt is tight, the sprocket should still be able to slide back and forth on the shaft a few thousands of an inch.

Thanks Jon,

I am running the stock size sprocket but an aftermarket version currently. I will keep an eye on it from now on. I did not use any lock tite but torqued to spec. I whish I would have known the chain tightening part before I cut the chain I had on there off. It probably only had about 8-10,000 miles on it and I figured it had a kink in it.

Kevin

Thanks Jon,

I am running the stock size sprocket but an aftermarket version currently. I will keep an eye on it from now on. I did not use any lock tite but torqued to spec. I whish I would have known the chain tightening part before I cut the chain I had on there off. It probably only had about 8-10,000 miles on it and I figured it had a kink in it.

Kevin

Measure the width of your new sprocket at the splines and if it is the same as the stock one, you should be O.K.