CBR1100XX.org Forum

Low speed riding Q&A

runner

Using my bird on it's daily commute to work leaves me in the unfortunate interestate tie-up all too often.

My question...when in REALLY slow traffic (1-5 mph)...how do you cycle through the clutch slipping vs. in-out-neutral game?

Basically, traffic is too slow to not constantly use the clutch...or, constantly shift in and out of first gear... and let it idle when possible.

How do you approach tie-ups?

I don't like to slip the clutch...but constantly shifting in and out of 1st gets old too. Which is better/worse for the tranny/clutch?

I hit (2) 30 minute plus tie-ups in the last few weeks and wonder how others approach this periodic riding nitemare.

thanks

Using my bird on it's daily commute to work leaves me in the unfortunate interestate tie-up all too often.

My question...when in REALLY slow traffic (1-5 mph)...how do you cycle through the clutch slipping vs. in-out-neutral game?

Basically, traffic is too slow to not constantly use the clutch...or, constantly shift in and out of first gear... and let it idle when possible.

How do you approach tie-ups?

I don't like to slip the clutch...but constantly shifting in and out of 1st gets old too. Which is better/worse for the tranny/clutch?

I hit (2) 30 minute plus tie-ups in the last few weeks and wonder how others approach this periodic riding nitemare.

thanks

I slip the clutch a lot have no problems with the clutch.

My bigger worry is the battery going flat with the long idling periods.

Lane splitting is illegal in TN.

That's actually a blessing due to the idiots in their steel cages changing lanes without signaling, while talking on the cell phone, while eating a cheeseburger, etc.

I guess it boils down to is it OK to ride the clutch for 30 minutes (ouch!), or should I go to neutral as often as possible...which I normally try to do...

Slipping the clutch at very low speeds won't hurt it at all. I'd be more worried about the water temp. If your not already using 100% synthetic oil, you should.

The last 30 minutes of my go-home commute is stop/go or slo-go traffic. I try to keep it in 1 or 2nd and work the clutch. When we stop I'll sit in neutral until we start moving again. I worry more about the temp than the clutch. If I get a stretch where I can move about 20 mph I'll get up to speed and pull in the clutchand rev the engine to 4-5K to help the waterpump circulate some coolant. Makes the needle drop immediately.

That's actually a blessing due to the idiots in their steel cages changing lanes without signaling, while talking on the cell phone, while eating a cheeseburger, etc.

LOL you've never ridden the bay area commute!!!!!!!

Add to that reading the paper, beating there kids, surfing the web on a lap top, all with 10 times the people, well you get the picture.

Split man lane split! It aint like the mans gonna get you in a traffic jam anyway!!!!

This is a good question, as I find myself in a similar situation occasionally. #1 it taught me to check the traffic reports more aggressively before i leave home or work, and #2 it gets old real quick starting and stopping in the lane. (it is illegal to lane split here in NC as well and just my luck I would get popped either in an accident or ticket.) I have learned to tolerate for the most part, but one time in particular was very bad. I did actually lane split to a point where I was able to get off the road. I think I could justify it in that case.

I didn't know lane splitting was illegal here in TN. Just last week, I was teetering on grabbing that vast space of dotted white, but thought better since my tires were 2 miles old. I don't worry about getting caught for traffic violations on the road, it's the fact that this is a small town and I'd hate to get popped just because the police recognize my bike later. I went flat black w/no major colors, just so my bike can stay nondescript a little longer. Anyhow, I would stay away from going in and out of first. I hate slipping the cluch a lot, but that jump into first worries me more. Aren't clutches chaper than gearsets? Course, I usually hit nuetral when I am stopped, which as far as commercial vehicles go, DOT recognizes that sitting in nuetral is considered not having control of the vehicle. Don't know if that applies to all vehicles or just big trucks. If the traffic is so bad, why not get a street/trail bike and make your own roads!

Lane Splitting?

Riding the striped line between two lanes. Go to southern California and you will be amazed at the way these bikes can sqeeze between cars! I saw a you-tube posting here of superior lane splitting in Japan, worth the looksie!