CBR1100XX.org Forum

WTB - Winter Rat/Beater

Okay.........my cash on hand has suddenly become seriously limited due to some unexpected occurences/expenses...and surprise increases in expected ones. My ready cash/slush fund is glowing red with embarassment. I don't wish to delve into my Mobil or Sunaco stock, as they're making too much money for me, and my 19.7% CD's don't mature for 73 more years, so I'm kinda stuck with what I've been able to find in my wallet, on my desk, or coins on the sidewalk. And I find myself now in need of a spare vehicle.

So, if you, your neighbor, some guy down the street, or your wife's Aunt Sybil happen to have an interesting vehicle for sale.....I'm interested in purchasing.

It needs to be either damned near free or relatively close to Pennsylvania. I'm looking for something around $1000...less is great. I could go a couple hundred more if I'm sorely intrigued by a vehicle, but really am trying not to...I'd like to save a couple bucks for Christmas. I need a driver, not a project vehicle, but I realize that in this price range are the vehicles that don't have working rear windows, need cleaning, or have dents or body rust in non-critical areas. I can probably handle one moderate need (needs brakes, needs tires, needs some exhaust work), but probably can't work with "transmission slips" or "just needs the motor freshened up."

I'm not frightened by mileage or R titles. I'm leary of automatic transmissions, especially in smaller vehicles.

Deals pop up everywhere that we all can't take advantage of...people sell cars cheap for lots of reasons. So if you see one that you can't use, please let me know. I had a scoop on an '02 Kia 5-speed with 72k on it last week for $2000 with a salvage title due to HAIL damage, of all things...thankfully I held off, or I'd be up shit crick right now. So lemme know what you find....eBay and Craigslist are threatening to charge me usage fees, I've spent so much time there this last week.

Thanks!

Well, I'm getting ready to sell my '92 Lumina Euro, for somewhere in the $500 range...

-3.1L, 4-speed auto

- ~170k miles on engine/body (uses about a quart of oil in 5000 miles)

-Just put a 93k mile junkyard trans in it 2k miles ago

-A/C does still work, and has been converted to 134A

-Will come with 14" steel wheels with about 1/2 gone Michelin Symetry's on them

-I did the lower intake gasket a year and a half ago, at ~155k miles

-has had new fuel pump, belts/hoses, plugs/wires, etc... all the maintanence stuff

-recent front rotors, and warranty rear rotor

-ABS and all that BS works

-Put rust-free junkyard cradle out of a '99 Lumina in it this spring

-It has a blown front strut (these are the $35 cartridge struts that you don't even need to jack up the vehicle to change), but I haven't changed it, because it still damps just fine, but makes noise on small bumps during high speed compression.

-There is maybe some surface rust on it, but nothing "through"

-Could maybe use a muffler sometime soon, but is still fine, and is the factory stainless steel system, so it shouldn't go too fast.

The BROKEN stereo was recently stolen out of it, by punching in the lock cylinder on the passenger side, but I have since welded a small plate in there, and primered that 4" x 4" spot. It looks like shit, but it doesn't let water/people into the door, either. I currently have an old tape player in it.

It has crack coming up the right side of the windshield, from 2 weeks ago when I had all 4 corners jacked up to change to my snow tires, and I guess I let the body tweak or something, because it wasn't there, then it was.

The Torque converter lockup is intermittent... It worked just fine for about a week after I put in the trans, then, magically, after the first cold/rain front, it went intermittant on me. It will work perfectly one time on my whole trip to work, then it won't work at all on the way home... I'm convinced it's the wiring harness or solenoid under the driver's side trans cover (both of which I have from the other trans), but this vehicle is so far into the torque converter match curve on the interstate, that, at 75mph, the TCC locking up only drops it 150rpm, and I haven't noticed any mileage drop-off, so I've just left it. Also, it never fails "locked" as some tend to on the 3-speed auto.

It is what it is... a beater, albeit a fairly reliable one. I'm ohly selling it because, per the other thread I started, my dad is buying my brother a car, so I'm getting his '93 3800 LeSabre with 90k miles on it... That's also where the aluminum wheels and snow tires are going...

Mike

Thanks, Mike. Distance makes this a pretty tough one. Now if it was a Maserati BiTurbo, it wouldn't be that big of a distance.... :icon_razz:

So far I've not been able to get out much...hope to have transportation available this afternoon if the O-ring gods cooperate.

What I've been able to check out so far...

*86 Chevy p/u......solid but with terminal rust in progress...didn't light my fire. $700

*91 Brougham......needs exhaust, maybe shocks, maybe this, or that. $1100 FIRM, by God.

*97 Sebring..........mint condition, except the mangled front fender and a shimmy in the front. $1200

*95 Ram 1500......gone before I could get to look at it. $1250

*91 750iL.............promising until it suddenly has a bit of a miss, would be cool but I can't afford V-12 fuel injection problems. $1100

*95 Bonneville......gone in 60 seconds. $800

*95 Pathfinder......gone in a few hours. $1000

*95 Camry...........mint condition...hasn't run since March. Yeah. $1000

*96 Contour.........told him to call me back when he knew more about the car...like the mileage and what transmission it has. No calls. $900

*95 Grand Cherokee.....excellent condition. Did I mention that the front diff doesn't work and it squeals going around corners? $800

*89 Tacoma.........no reply. No price.

*97 Caravan........excellent except for the tires, ball joints overheating, and rust. $1200

*93 Chevy Club Cab.....perfect condition, excellent price. Would cost $350 in gas just to get it home.

And at least 10 others that haven't bothered to return phone calls or emails.

<sigh>

Thanks to all of you who sent ads and advice!

Wow, Mike needs to raise his price to at least $1000 to compete with these deals. :icon_twisted:

I have a Lumina like Mike's that may be worth more than I thought. I think it needs a fuel pump though.

Good luck on finding something Joe.

Thanks, Mike. Distance makes this a pretty tough one. Now if it was a Maserati BiTurbo, it wouldn't be that big of a distance.... :icon_razz:

No problem at all... Just offering... probably wouldn't fit your time frame, either, from what I gather, being that it won't be avaliable for a couple weeks...

It's still here, though, if all of the other "mint condition" deals fall though... :icon_biggrin:

Mike