CBR1100XX.org Forum

Grip Tip

01xxallen

I heard this a while back and I can't believe how well it works. When installing new grips, it's difficult to slide them on. I had a fitting for my air compressor for pumping up basketballs, footballs, you know, the needle thing. Slide it under the new grip, let the air flow, and the grip rides on a cushion of air onto the bar. Magic.

A little carb cleaner, wet it and slide on, dries and sticks. to get off reverse, spray in with the little straw turn and remove.

Ive tried the carb cleaner trick on a dirt bike once & it melted a set of brand new rubber grips, Brand name was pro grips, It may have been cheap or NOS rubber ?

I would not recomend this to anyone unless you are absolutely positive it wont melt the rubber in the process.

A little carb cleaner, wet it and slide on, dries and sticks. to get off reverse, spray in with the little straw turn and remove.

Ive tried the carb cleaner trick on a dirt bike once & it melted a set of brand new rubber grips, Brand name was pro grips, It may have been cheap or NOS rubber ?

I would not recomend this to anyone unless you are absolutely positive it wont melt the rubber in the process.

Never have put that much on them, quick shot slide on, done every grip for 30 years that way, never had one slip or disolve.

But I guess your results could be different.

I've heard that AquaNet or other aerosol hair spray works for that grip trick.

Yeah I have used that aerosol hair styling mousse and the grips slide straight on, leave for 10-15 mins and then wipe with a wet towel or wash lightly and they never move :icon_surprised:

1. apply rubbing alcohol to the bars

2. slide the grip on

3. blow compressed air under the grip to evaporate the alcohol

It's the best method I've found. The grips are stuck for life.

soapy water works good too...it's sticky when it dries, and the grips stay on. We did that with the bird right before NEXXT.

soapy water works good too...it's sticky when it dries, and the grips stay on.

+1 Simple and effective. Compressed air takes them off like magic. My old grips were glued on with some rubber cement like stuff. They didnt even stand a chance against 90psi.

I've used brake cleaner spray for years and it works very well on all types of grips