CBR1100XX.org Forum

Winterizing...

htcooley04

hi, i have a 99' black bird with 17xxx miles. It is almost mint. There are only a couple of scratches on the mirrors never been droped. Winter is coming and i live in northeren Iowa. The bike will be stored in a non heated garage. I wanted to see what you guys think i should do to winterize it. I just turned 22 so i dont know a whole lot about motorcycles. I grew up on dirt bikes and this is the fourth bike i have had. I would like to winterize it so if there is a nice day then i could just take the cover off it and go ride but some people say to drain all the gas out of it and stuff so idk thats why i am asking my fellow bird lovers...

Thanks for the advice

Hale Cooley

oh and if you were wondering the bike was stock except for a corbin seat when i got it.

All i have done to it is DandD slipons powercomander and new Michlien Pilots. also peg lowering brackets

i still havnt gotten the DandD map for the commander i had some one on here email me some but i opened all of them up and none of them were for DandD. I want to do all i can to make it more comfertable but it takes money. I could barley aford the bike but a 99' mint with 15,000 well maintained for $4500 i thought it was a pretty good deal.

I have always enjoyed this cite. I log on here every day to see whats new.

Thanks again

Change the oil

Test antifreeze to make sure it's good to the coldest temp your going to get.

fill the gas

add stablizer to the gas

pull the battery

At least that's what I do in spring, charge battery, check fluids, install battery and go.

add stabiliser to the gas

And run it a little to get the stabiliser through the system.

What does "stabiliser" do? I ride 365 days a year in West Oz :icon_surprised: Is it like an antifreeze for fuel :icon_confused:

add stabiliser to the gas

And run it a little to get the stabiliser through the system.

What does "stabiliser" do? I ride 365 days a year in West Oz :icon_surprised: Is it like an antifreeze for fuel :icon_confused:

Gas goes bad after time, stabilizer slows the process of it going bad. Basically it extends the life of the gas.

hi, i have a 99' black bird with 17xxx miles. It is almost mint. There are only a couple of scratches on the mirrors never been droped. Winter is coming and i live in northeren Iowa. The bike will be stored in a non heated garage. I wanted to see what you guys think i should do to winterize it. I just turned 22 so i dont know a whole lot about motorcycles. I grew up on dirt bikes and this is the fourth bike i have had. I would like to winterize it so if there is a nice day then i could just take the cover off it and go ride but some people say to drain all the gas out of it and stuff so idk thats why i am asking my fellow bird lovers...

Thanks for the advice

Hale Cooley

oh and if you were wondering the bike was stock except for a corbin seat when i got it.

All i have done to it is DandD slipons powercomander and new Michlien Pilots. also peg lowering brackets

i still havnt gotten the DandD map for the commander i had some one on here email me some but i opened all of them up and none of them were for DandD. I want to do all i can to make it more comfertable but it takes money. I could barley aford the bike but a 99' mint with 15,000 well maintained for $4500 i thought it was a pretty good deal.

I have always enjoyed this cite. I log on here every day to see whats new.

Thanks again

Do all that stuff that XX Rider said, except there is an option to pulling the battery. If there is electricity in the garage, get a "Battery Tender" or similar float-type charger. Then you won't have to pull the battery out and it will be ready-to-ride at a moments notice when the weather permits.

Hi Hal,

I'm in Clarion and all I do is to winterize is put the liner in my jacket. If the streets are dry I ride. I don't always check PM's but my website is listed at the bottom, you can get my email there. Let me know when you're ready to ride.

Kim

• 2 weeks later...

I had "bad luck" with Stabil. I might try Sea Foam.

I've ridden a lot of years and always just rode on a 40F day each month.

In NJ, we usually get a few day to ride each month without freezing.

I keep the gas tank full but make sure I ride to near empty in early spring.

I leave the battery in to but we don't get below 0F very often or for long.