CBR1100XX.org Forum

Another question on fuel smell

spicholy

The last two days I have been getting a smell of gasoline on my '99 bird. I looked back at the archives and though maybe pressure regulator. Seems a common ailment. I checked the vent line on the regulator, as it has been posted that it should be dry. It is dry no odor of gasoline in the vent line. No gas in the air box. The throttle bodies are all dry. I pulled the plugs and all are dry and nicely colored. I did notice a gas smell at the breather hose from the front of the airbox to the right side of the valve cover. Not sure if this is normal or not. I can't tell if the oil has a gas smell to it or not. Bad nasal's. It could just be due for it's regular 3000 mile change. There is no indication of a fuel leak anywhere.

Any ideas on what is causing the fuel smell? Do you think it is safe to ride? Should I just change the oil and put it up for the winter and deal with it in the spring?

A candle or propane torch is extremely effective at finding gas leaks. Ok shit, I got nuttin. Lemme think about though...

How full is the tank? Is it up to filler neck? On previous bikes, filling the tank to the top would send some gas to the overflow drain.

Mine had a leaking main line which you could only "see" it leak when the bike was running. I thought it was the regulator, ended up putting a bad one on, and it flooded the motor. If you have no smell from the vaccuum side of the regulator, I would definitely check that main line.

I will re-check the main line. No, the tank was only half or less full. I am starting to think an injector may be pumping slightly too much fuel into it. I am currently running a tank of sea foam through it to see if that will clear up a possibly stuck injector. If that does not work and the main feed line is good??????????????? I will keep thinking.

A leaking injector or a leaking regulator will show up with a fuel pressure gauge. I know for a fact that if you can find a spare line (hydraulic shop or something of that nature), you can cut the line and splice into it with brass fittings and hose clamps and it will not leak. The line on my bike now is like that, as it is the original line that I ran with my nitrous setup. It's a brass T, two brass hose barbs with 1/8" NPT fittings on the end, 2 hose clamps, and not shit, a Harbor Freight $3 air tank pressure gauge. I literally have like $10 invested in it, and it works. I can read pressure that way and it is accurate enough to detect pressure failure in the system. If you do this, it would narrow the issue down to two things, a failed regulator (highly unlikely since you don't smell any gas in the vaccuum line) or a leaky injector. If it leaks down overnight, there's a problem.

If you can't find a line, you can try (KEYWORD TRY!) to hook up one on the return line that goes back to the tank. I would clamp off that line and hook up the fuel pressure gauge directly to the outlet on the regulator. Pressure up the system (without cranking the bike) and see if it holds. If it drops overnight, then you know what's up. I can't guarantee that will work, but it's worth a shot. I know that on my bike if you don't crank it, the fuel flows out the regulator if it's not hooked to the tank.

A leaking injector or a leaking regulator will show up with a fuel pressure gauge. I know for a fact that if you can find a spare line (hydraulic shop or something of that nature), you can cut the line and splice into it with brass fittings and hose clamps and it will not leak. The line on my bike now is like that, as it is the original line that I ran with my nitrous setup. It's a brass T, two brass hose barbs with 1/8" NPT fittings on the end, 2 hose clamps, and not shit, a Harbor Freight $3 air tank pressure gauge. I literally have like $10 invested in it, and it works. I can read pressure that way and it is accurate enough to detect pressure failure in the system. If you do this, it would narrow the issue down to two things, a failed regulator (highly unlikely since you don't smell any gas in the vaccuum line) or a leaky injector. If it leaks down overnight, there's a problem.

If you can't find a line, you can try (KEYWORD TRY!) to hook up one on the return line that goes back to the tank. I would clamp off that line and hook up the fuel pressure gauge directly to the outlet on the regulator. Pressure up the system (without cranking the bike) and see if it holds. If it drops overnight, then you know what's up. I can't guarantee that will work, but it's worth a shot. I know that on my bike if you don't crank it, the fuel flows out the regulator if it's not hooked to the tank.

Uhhh, there is no pressure in the return line. :icon_wall: It just dumps in the tank. Clamping off the line would not cause it to show normal system pressure, though it may well burst the line. The regulator should not backflow, so leakage could not be seen here anyway.

To measure the regulator pressure and system leakage, Honda DID provide a tap on the banjo bolt that mounts the high pressure hose to the tank. I made my own adapter, it is not too big a deal to make and you don't cut your high pressure hose.

Uhhh, there is no pressure in the return line. :icon_wall: It just dumps in the tank. Clamping off the line would not cause it to show normal system pressure, though it may well burst the line. The regulator should not backflow, so leakage could not be seen here anyway.

Note that I did say, in caps no less, TRY. I also said that I can't guarantee it would work. But there would be pressure on that line as it dumps back into the tank at a pretty good speed. If you leave that line off the bike and pressure the system, it dumps fuel out in a stream.

I did not know that the extra bolt was for that purpose. Now I don't have to have a new hose made so you just saved me some money.