CBR1100XX.org Forum

One happy Akrapovic customer

JamesXX

Holy shit. Why didn't I do this sooner?

For all those who trawl this forum looking to learn from other people's experiences with mods (like I do), this is my story.

Ordered from Partmonster.com:

- Akrapovic Super Sport 4-2-1 Titanium

- K&N filter

- Power Commander III USB

All three of those together was a bit less than $1K. As many of you know, Louie is a standup guy, offers great deals and is a pleasure to deal with. Exhaust really is a nice piece of engineering. But you guys already knew that.

post-4036-1193106590.jpg post-4036-1193106017.jpg post-4036-1193106046.jpg

Yes, the exhaust is on the bed in the first pic. Girlfriend temporarily kicked out, exhaust moved in. We snuggled.

I LOOOVE the look of the exhaust on the bike. I thought I would be worried about the one-legged-man phenomenon, and was among those who thought the 'bird needed a pair of cans to round out that fat behind. No longer. The oval shape actually slims out the junk in the trunk, IMHO. The sound out of this pipe is also DAMN nice: Below 5K low and mean, like a black-lunged hooker snarling for her morning smoke, and upward from there a kamikaze scream builds up to a crescendo of holy-fuck-I'm-doing-250 (kph) type of experience.

post-4036-1193106334.jpg post-4036-1193106378.jpg post-4036-1193106430.jpg

But aesthetics aside, the real reason to do this mod is because you CAN have it all, after all. Who knew that underneath that plastic was a powerplant choking for dear life? For environmental reasons (I guess), the bike stock was asthmatic. I thought it ran rich stock (could smell that), but let it breathe freely and all of a sudden you have almost-literbike performance but with the range and comfort older bastards like me have come to appreciate (I'm 35, which I remember somewhere was the median age around here).

I had a custom FI map done at Picotte Performance, in Granby, QC. I highly recommend the tuner there - a guy named Bruce, who is as meticuluous and detail oriented as you want a tuner to be. He tunes Pascal Picotte's (former AMA racer, now team owner) bikes in Canadian Superbike. I owe Eric (EVLXX) a huge debt of grattitude, as he saved me from dealing with a hack operator in Laval. A downloaded map may suffice for some; but after snuggling with my Akra, I knew I couldn't buy her some off-the-shelf, maybe-it-fits-me map. This bitch demanded respect, and I, kowtowed and kneeling beneath the weight of my credit card balance, obliged.

The results, which others here have achieved as well: From 127 to 143 max hp; From 75 to 82 ft-lbs of torque. With an annoyingly persistent dip around 5500, but wha ya gonna do.

post-4036-1193106445.jpg post-4036-1193106453.jpg

No, you won't suddenly think you have an R1, but suddenly you're convinced that you're in that league; you've left the minors for a DH role, better than being the best in a slower class. It's still the kind of balls-to-the-wall power that DEMANDS to be acknowledged every once in a while, when you forget that you're an adult with responsibilities.

Don't underestimate how much you'll notice the weight loss - you feel it right away. Again, no CBR1000RR; but the bird loses a bit of its cruise-missile feel. More flickable (relatively), and simply more fun. And finally, it must be the map, but the bike simply runs amazing and shifts MUCH smoother than before. Clunks appear to be gone. A measured air-fuel ratio appears to be the crack that my engine adores. I don't understand why, but I'm sure EVLXX would be able to explain it.

Thanks all, for your advice and posts, which helped me out. Results from the drag strip to be posted soon, unless winter actually arrives in Canada (it was 75 F today). Maybe I'll be riding until January...?

I've begun to feed the dreaded MOD disease, and worry about what might come next... Suspension.

Looks great :icon_thumbsup:

if you want to try something to get a little more down low snap, go get a 16 tooth front spocket.

• 2 weeks later...
I noticed the centre stand has been removed.

Is it possible to fit a full Akra system and retain the centre stand ??

Yes, but you need a stop for the centerstand.

Start to read here,,, and do some searches

http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/index.php?...enterstand+stop