CBR1100XX.org Forum

Givi top and side cases weight limit?

testrider

I've had them stuffed full with at least 40lbs in each..

I've got the 41L side cases and I find having them packed heavy starts causing problems at speeds over 120-130km/h. The wind seems to get the rocking for lack of a better term. You can reach back with your hand and feel them moving side to side. Seems like the mount isn't strong enough to hold them from moving with all that weight in them(I use the Givi wingrack). Hard to tell what is moving but both side cases do it. It's not real bad but if you take both hands off the bars you'd be in for a hell of a ride. The bars start moving back and forth pretty bad. As long as you have one hand on the bars you don't notice it.

I don't find any issues with my top bag being heavy other than the front wheel gets lighter.

I've got the 41L side cases and I find having them packed heavy starts causing problems at speeds over 120-130km/h. The wind seems to get the rocking for lack of a better term. You can reach back with your hand and feel them moving side to side. Seems like the mount isn't strong enough to hold them from moving with all that weight in them(I use the Givi wingrack). Hard to tell what is moving but both side cases do it. It's not real bad but if you take both hands off the bars you'd be in for a hell of a ride. The bars start moving back and forth pretty bad. As long as you have one hand on the bars you don't notice it.

I don't find any issues with my top bag being heavy other than the front wheel gets lighter.

Thank you all, for your inputs. I'll be on a 4-day ride from Los Angeles -> Lake Havasu

-> Laughlin -> Flagstaff -> Sedona -> Prescott then come back so I have quite

a bit to carry (tools / clothing / rain gear etc...). From what you all said, I

think I'll be fine with my top case about 35 lbs and the side cases about 30 lbs each.

- mike -

Thank you all, for your inputs. I'll be on a 4-day ride from Los Angeles -> Lake Havasu

think I'll be fine with my top case about 35 lbs and the side cases about 30 lbs each.

- mike -

To be Safe, pack up your bags the day before and go for a ride. You should be OK though.

- mike -

I just did that ride with about 35 lbs in each of the 3 bag ands another 35 lbs on the seat. Actually went from Flagstaff to Tucumcari. There is/were no issue and speeds often exceeded 140 Km/hr. Do make sure you have all the bumpers properly installed on your wingrack. If the wiggling of the bags is an issue, a Rok strap through both handles and across the seat will solve it. I often run hands off the bars for miles at a time at speeds in excess of 140 KPH. I have no idea WTF XX Rider is talking about. I've been riding my 'bird in this configuration for nearly 2 years and about 45K miles, and other than a little wiggle in the wake turbulence of tractor/trailer rigs, it has been rock solid.

I`ve reached indicated 175 mph on WV toll road last Friday,,,,,something about young punks in some ricer Subaru in desperate need for spanking :icon_twisted: ,,,,,,yea,,,,,,,,,Ducati side bags and Give top case,bike was as smooth as a well trained politician in primary season.

Overloading ? Unless you plan on off roading basically don`t worry about weight limits.

I just did that ride with about 35 lbs in each of the 3 bag ands another 35 lbs on the seat. Actually went from Flagstaff to Tucumcari. There is/were no issue and speeds often exceeded 140 Km/hr. Do make sure you have all the bumpers properly installed on your wingrack. If the wiggling of the bags is an issue, a Rok strap through both handles and across the seat will solve it. I often run hands off the bars for miles at a time at speeds in excess of 140 KPH. I have no idea WTF XX Rider is talking about. I've been riding my 'bird in this configuration for nearly 2 years and about 45K miles, and other than a little wiggle in the wake turbulence of tractor/trailer rigs, it has been rock solid.

Maybe I had more than 35lbs in my bags, not like I weighted them. You must have different bags than the E41's too cause there is no handles to put straps throw.

A pair of E360's on the side and a 460 on the top. Nary a wiggle and I run them loaded nearly all the time when on the road.

I have had aerodynamic issues with other bikes/bag combinations. My GS Adventure BMW with Jesse bags and a 50 liter Jesse top box would start to get a bit nervous above 90 mph or so and would go into a slow weave at around 110. The top box was the culprit at the lower speeds but the Jesse bags (basically big, square boxes) caused the high speed weave. With them off, the bike would happily do 126 or so.

From what you all said, I think I'll be fine with my top case about 35 lbs and the side cases about 30 lbs each.

- mike -

I ran about 3k miles this summer with all three Givis mounted and around 30 lbs. in each one. At speeds below 90mph I found them to be no problem. When I got above that the bike weaved around a little but not too bad. Weight in the trunk is the biggest contributor imo, when I run without it, I don't detect any weird stuff.

I've never thought about weight when packing my bags.

Fill em up to they almost doesn't close. :icon_evilgrin:

I had once the Givi way over recommended speed limit.

We were 4 bikes on a trip, and the ZX7 in front of me throttled up and I followed.

Then the girl on the GSX750R passed me. My mind said no way, and it

was full throttle on my 97. She had 250km/h on the meter when I passed here with

my 3 givis on. :icon_whistle:

The boxes stayed on, and the bike handled normal.

No vibrations, but it wasn't the smartest thing to do. :icon_redface:

XX_032.jpg

And now I even have an 70 lbs dog in a box mounted to the Giviset.

Evje2007_07.jpg

I really like the pic of your dog sitting in the back. Very cute. :-)

With my 3 bags, I did go up to 130 mph once and it was still stable.

I weight my bags, especially the side bags, just to make sure

that they are pretty much balance left and and right to improve

handling. Even with 3 bags, the total weight is still lower than

having a passenger for sure :-)