CBR1100XX.org Forum

Jump Starting a Car...

ActionStarCBRxx

My wife left the key in the car turned on in order to get the dvd out of player for the kid to watch his favorite movie. The battery was completely dead, and I charged it for a few hours, but still wouldn't turn over (crappy charger). I was about to jump the car from the blackbird... A buddy just happend to come by at the right time and express to me what a bad idea it was. He is one of these good ole boys thats been around the block a few times... He couldnt give me specifics, just that it was a bad idea and he has seen many a bike sitting in the shop from the end result.

I suck at electrical things... so to me it seemed like a good idea. Usually when my buddy speaks up, its from experience or a hard lesson, so I heeded his advice.

Can anyone provide the technical aspect on what would/couldl most likely happen had I attempted this? Need something better than "it will break" it or "thats bad"... I got that from my friend!! :icon_rolleyes:

Thanks!

Well the amount of current a starter on a car will draw will probably exceed the XX capabilities and burn something out on the bike.

Just a guess really but I'm with your friend on this one.

Can anyone provide the technical aspect on what would/couldl most likely happen had I attempted this? Need something better than "it will break" it or "thats bad"... I got that from my friend!! :icon_rolleyes:

I couldn't find anything specifically, but a quick Google turned up several links about why not to jump start your bike from a running car. I assume that the reason you don't want to jump start a car from your bike is the same.

For example:

http://www.shadowriders.org/faq/jumpstarting.html

http://motorcycle-maintenance-repair.suite...intenancerepair

Maybe someone else will chime in with more specifics. I've jumped my bike from my truck plenty of times, but never when it was running. Of course, that was just because it worked without starting the truck, not because I actually knew not to. :icon_whistle:

-Bob

I couldn't find anything specifically, but a quick Google turned up several links about why not to jump start your bike from a running car. I assume that the reason you don't want to jump start a car from your bike is the same.

For example:

http://www.shadowriders.org/faq/jumpstarting.html

http://motorcycle-maintenance-repair.suite...intenancerepair

Maybe someone else will chime in with more specifics. I've jumped my bike from my truck plenty of times, but never when it was running. Of course, that was just because it worked without starting the truck, not because I actually knew not to. :icon_whistle:

-Bob

Thanks for the links...

That is what I was looking for. This summed it up nice for me.

The cage's alternator and regulator want to maintain the system at 14.3 volts. Your bike's regulator, the instant the system is turned on, is going to try to bleed off excess voltage from the system to keep it at 14.1 volts. The car's alternator is rated for 1400 watts. The bike's regulator can dissipate a maximum of 700 for (very) short periods before it cooks itself. It's a tug of war, and the bike regulator ALWAYS loses.

Moral of the story--jump-start your bike from a non-running cage. The quiescent voltage of a car (or bike) battery is in the 13.2-13.8 volt range. The only result of this is that the full output of the bike's magneto will go into the cage and moto batteries once the bike starts. This actually reduces the load on the regulator to near zero, so it's quite happy with this state of affairs.

The simplest way I could explain it would be that the motorcycle battery just simply does not have enough cranking amps to turn over a car efficiently. You could attempt it with the battery out of the bike, but not with the bike running. It would pull so much current that it would probably pull the ground current through every electrical component of the bike, putting excessive strain on the regulator and stator if the bike were running.

In case the cars battery is not totally down I would not hesitate at all to give it some extra juice from the bike as a start aid. The car will drain the bikes battery quite fast if it doesn't start immediately, so you will only try this once and quick.

There is also no significant difference in supporting a bike with low battery by a car, than by a car to car. This will work for situations were the receiving vehicle just has a low battery and no real faults like a shortened battery or other shortened circuits.

The XX's battery may be bigger, but it is not designed to handle that kind of a load. Jump packs are gel cel batteries that act more like a capacitor, specifically designed for high output amp loads for short periods of time, which is why they recommend you recharge them after every use. A motorcycle battery is designed for a short burst of amperage for the starter, then the stator recharges the battery while supplying voltage for the lights and things of that nature.

Get a jump pack if you want to be jumping off cars. I actually have a jump pack permanently mounted on my XX just in case I ever need to jump off somebody else or even my own bike. Much safer than risking an ECM or popping your own battery because of human error.

The XX's battery may be bigger, but it is not designed to handle that kind of a load. Jump packs are gel cel batteries that act more like a capacitor, specifically designed for high output amp loads for short periods of time, which is why they recommend you recharge them after every use. A motorcycle battery is designed for a short burst of amperage for the starter, then the stator recharges the battery while supplying voltage for the lights and things of that nature.

Get a jump pack if you want to be jumping off cars. I actually have a jump pack permanently mounted on my XX just in case I ever need to jump off somebody else or even my own bike. Much safer than risking an ECM or popping your own battery because of human error.

need a picture of this, verry cool idea

I had an old jumppack that the charging part of it had taken a dump, so the only way to charge it was by hooking up the leads to a regular battery charger. I dissassembled it, and it just so happens to be able to fit between the metal brackets on the rear subframe right where the grab handle goes, and clear between the ECM and the plastic at the top, and between the flat bracket where the seat latch is and the taillamp. Placed the battery there, foam on the sides to keep it from moving, and fortunately the battery pack has the positive to the rear, so there is no way that the positive terminal can touch metal. I ran the hot lead down and mounted the rotary switch from the jump pack to the side of the subframe. You slide your hand down between the subframe and the side of the rear tail plastic to turn the switch on (no way for it to accidentally be activated, and it can't be turned by reaching through the grab handle hole on the brake lever side of the bike). The battery clamps fit where Honda put enough room for a U-style wheel lock to go. I top it off about every two months, and it has enough juice and enough leads on the cables to actually jump off a car if necessary. The greatest thing is you would never know it was there with the seat on and I don't keep anything under the seat anymore because I got in on that Fastbag deal a while back. The extra 4 or 5 pounds doesn't hurt anything out back, and it does not interfere with the seat coming on or off.

Believe me, I didn't plan on it to work out the way it did, I just took it apart to see if it would work, and everything fit with very little persuasion. Why did I do it? First of all, the ability to jump off a Harley with a sportbike would be so cool that youtube would pay me for the video. Secondly, when my stator took a dump on me while I was on a Patriot Guard mission, I was wishing that somebody had a jump pack or jumper cables, so the idea became reality that next weekend. Now if somebody needs a jump, I got 'em covered.