CBR1100XX.org Forum

Fork stabilising braces

Dr. Ergal

Does anyone of You know something similar?

gabelstabi.jpg

I would like to install it on my forks but it seems that ther's not anything suitable for Bird, in Europe.

I could create one from an Ergal block, but if there's something in American market I should save time and (maybe) money... :icon_rolleyes:

OK, I'll be the prick :icon_biggrin:

I do not recommend the Superbrace, nor did my suspension guy. The pics posted above are adjustable braces, and the Superbrace is not. Meaning ANY difference in distance between the forks (triples, axle spacers, forks, etc.) will result in a binding front suspension.

A proper fork brace should be adjustable, and installed after the wheel.

post-4683-1191424008.jpg

OK, I'll be the prick :icon_biggrin:

I do not recommend the Superbrace, nor did my suspension guy. The pics posted above are adjustable braces, and the Superbrace is not. Meaning ANY difference in distance between the forks (triples, axle spacers, forks, etc.) will result in a binding front suspension.

Never heard that before. A lot of guys put the SuperBrace on the 919 and I've never heard anythign but praise for them.

Did anyone else see this pict on that site? :icon_clap:

http://www.superbrace.com/photogallery/det...8&iPic=1965

I've got to agree. I tried two different fork braces for my old RZ-350. The first one was not adjustable, and dramatically increased fork stiction. I replaced it with a brace that looks like the one shown at the top of this thread. You don't bolt the two halves together until after the front end is completely assembled (Including tires) The last thing you do is work the suspension through full travel a few times to make sure everything is in complete alignment, then you tighten the brace halves together.

IIRC: For best results, you follow this adjustment procedure whenever you have the wheel off the bike.

Proper alignment is hard enough when the forks are secured to each other in three places. (Axle, lower clamp and upper clamp) When you add in a fourth mounting point, the alignement better be perfect.

I've been running a SuperBrace for the last several thousand miles. I have no noticable increase in stiction and the front feels very stable.

Well, yesterday I designed this stuff...

post-5404-1191496968.jpg

...and the workshop that realized the braking plates is available to build it. :icon_rolleyes:

Do you thing it could be better to foresee it adjustable? :icon_rolleyes:

I've sold about 20 Superbraces for the Blackbird. Six of them had the problem that they didn't fit correctly. Some milling did the trick, but it's a shame it had to be done.

What brand are the braces above?

I have a brand new in packaging fork brace non adjustable with the fork guards if anyone is interested. Its black.

What brand is it, is it for he Blackbird, and what do you want for it? I am interested.....

I have a brand new in packaging fork brace non adjustable with the fork guards if anyone is interested. Its black.

What brand is it, is it for he Blackbird, and what do you want for it? I am interested.....

It will be shipped to me tomorrow, sorry Helvet :icon_evilgrin: I'll report my findings later.

VERY IMPORTANT!!

One critical thing about the Superbrace (or any other flat design)that you should know.............

If you still have the stock brake hose bracket/horn mounts in the stock location, and happen to be on the heavy side (225LB or larger), or travel on rough or bumpy roads regularly, you may find the suspension travel will cause the Superbrace to contact the horn or brake hose guides possibly ruining them (pinching the front hoses closed). I found this out in less than 20 miles on Michigan roads. :icon_shocked: If you are still going to install it, consider relocating your horn higher by flipping the stock bracket upside down and installing S/S lines that don't route through the bracket.

On the FJR forum, the first batch of Superbraces actually severed the brake hose banjo fitting causing instant brake fluid loss. This necessitated a redesign of the unit after several complaints.

I also tried a superbrace, in fact three, none of them fitted properly, encountered high stiction. Many people may not even be aware of the stiction the brace induces. Unless you aretruely pushing the front end very hard, you don't really need a brace. If you must, then it MUST have the adjustable span section for proper alignment.

I also tried a superbrace, in fact three, none of them fitted properly, encountered high stiction. Many people may not even be aware of the stiction the brace induces. Unless you aretruely pushing the front end very hard, you don't really need a brace. If you must, then it MUST have the adjustable span section for proper alignment.

Even if you don't push the front end very hard the brace is reported by quite a few birdies to stabilize the fork noticeably on bad roads, and we have a lot of them here in this poor country :icon_neutral: In case the incoming Superbrace will cause any stiction, I'll make it adjustable.

I must have gotten lucky with my SuperBrace. It fit perfectly with no misalignment at all. The bolts almost fell in the holes. I did reset the sag recently. I have about 10mm difference between measurements when I pull the suspension up and let it slowly settle and when I push it down and let it slowly rebound. I think that's an acceptable measure of stiction. I do push my Blackbird pretty hard most of the time and the 'Brace seems to help.

To be perfectly candid, I replaced the fork springs, the fork oil and installed the 'Brace at the same time, so I can't honestly say how much it helps. I can tell you the combination of the three was a big improvement.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the clamp this week by UPS from cbrbear. It was new in an unbroken package and it fitted perfectly. I thought it was to be the basic aluminum surface but it is a black anodized clamp so I'm real happy:-)

Got the clamp this week by UPS from cbrbear. It was new in an unbroken package and it fitted perfectly. I thought it was to be the basic aluminum surface but it is a black anodized clamp so I'm real happy:-)

So, what brand is it? Who manufactures it?

It is the http://www.superbrace.com/proddetail.asp?prod=2262

The piece I got looks a lot better since it is black and the engraving is more discrete and on front of clamp instead on top. The finish is excellent.

My mistake......

I thought you got the ones from the first posting by Dr. Ergal. Superbrace I already know and sell, but I am looking for the adjustable ones. Anybody know which brand these are?

It is the http://www.superbrace.com/proddetail.asp?prod=2262

The piece I got looks a lot better since it is black and the engraving is more discrete and on front of clamp instead on top. The finish is excellent.

My mistake......

I thought you got the ones from the first posting by Dr. Ergal. Superbrace I already know and sell, but I am looking for the adjustable ones. Anybody know which brand these are?

They are a Telefix Fork brace made in Germany and sold through Spec 2 :icon_think:

I was a little to quick saying the clamp fitted perfectly... I double-checked the tendency for stiction. I loosened the clamp and pushed down the fork and observed the return rate, and could also see a slight overshoot at return w/o clamp. When the clamp was fully tightened, the overshoot disappeared, showing that it caused some stiction. After grinding the clamp a few tenths of a millimeter the fork now moves as easy as without clamp. I didn’t mind doing this and is quite happy with the result. If you are not prepared to fine adjust the Superbrace, you should look for an adjustable clamp. As pointed out by someone in another post, just putting the clamp on and not check for stiction, may mean that the fork doesn’t move freely.

Low pixel mobile pic in the garage below. It looks good on the bike and the stork legs are tamed.

post-3595-1192991045.jpg