CBR1100XX.org Forum

I can't believe I'm asking this...

Timujin

...but I need to know how to change the blinker and headlight bulbs. Please understand, I just finished replacing the pulsar cover, the oil pan, and the headers and exhaust. A few months ago I was riding in the mountains here in California, came around a tight right hander and ran into a rock slide. Not a lot of fun. Anyway, I've replaced just about everything that was damaged and didn't have any problems doing the work myself. The last things I have to fix are the low beam on my headlight and the right blinker...but I can't see how to get at either of the damn things. Do I have to remove the front cowl to get to the headlight? As always, any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Gray

1982 GL500

1983 CB1100F

1999 CBR1100XX

The manual says you have to remove the upper cowl to change the headlight bulb. I concur. You'll remove the mirrors when you remove the upper cowl, giving you an opportunity to change the turn signal bulb. See how nicely that works out, Mother Honda loves you.

It's an easy job, don't sweat it.

You can reach the headlight bulbs by attacking from the side... take off the flat black filler panels on each side of the gauge cluster, and possibly the windscreen. Depending on the size of your mitts, you may have to take out the gauge cluster itself. It's all easier than it sounds, just time consuming. I didn't have to take off the upper fairing to replace my bulbs when I upgraded to HID.

You can change the headlight bulb by reaching up from underneath, at least on the FI models- zero disassembly required. It's a tight squeeze, and that little clip is a bitch the first time, but it's still easier than disassembling the whole front end.

The front signals- peel back that rubber boot from the mirror side, there's an 8mm bolt facing up. Remove that, and the 8mm bolt facing inward (toward the windscreen) just behind it. The mirror will come out, exposing the bulb housing.

You can change the headlight bulb by reaching up from underneath, at least on the FI models- zero disassembly required. It's a tight squeeze, and that little clip is a bitch the first time, but it's still easier than disassembling the whole front end.

The front signals- peel back that rubber boot from the mirror side, there's an 8mm bolt facing up. Remove that, and the 8mm bolt facing inward (toward the windscreen) just behind it. The mirror will come out, exposing the bulb housing.

I'm amazed how well you remember this stuff. You haven't owned an XX in what, two years? Jeez, I can't remember what I had for breakfast.

I'm amazed how well you remember this stuff. You haven't owned an XX in what, two years? Jeez, I can't remember what I had for breakfast.

I'd like to take credit for having a mind like a steel trap, but the fact is there's an XX in my garage right now. I cheated and peeked at the mirror ;)

Its stupid easy to change the bulbs once you know what to do, but its damned difficult trying to figure it out with two fingers stuck up inside a dark place.

Find a way to get to the back of the headlight. Remove the inner trim panels, get on your knees and reach up inside the cowl from underneath, do something, but it can be done without removing anything if you're determined enough. Be damned sure while you have your hand in there that someone (and that included yourself) doesn't move the bars in an attempt to see or feel better and crush one of your fingers in the bargain. Its too easy to dissassociate your actions when you are concentrating on what you can do with your hand while you can't see it.

Here's what you're gonna do back there. Keep in mind that the low beam is the top bulb, not the lower bulb depicted here.

After you pull off the connector and peel back the rubber boot, this is what you'll find underneath. A spring clip and the bulb base. The spring clip pivots from the right, and locks on the left.

post-4340-1191422703.jpg

To undo the lock, push in on the lower bar of the clip at the left hand side.....

post-4340-1191422732.jpg

and pull down on it.

post-4340-1191422826.jpg

Once free of the lock, swivel it all the way to the right on the pivot, remove the bulb, and reverse the procedure. Make sure your bulb is correctly seated and the spring lock will clip into place easily...there's not a lot of tension on it. The clip will not come off regardless of where you swivel it as it is screwed into its pivot point...no worries about holding onto it or losing it.

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for the photos and clip tip Joe. Without knowing to push in and down on left side I would have been much more distressed. The manual says to unhook bulb retainer real helpful when you really can't see n there to deduce how it's hooked.

I did remove the rightside upper cowl cover. Made it much easier to do it for my first time.

That has to be the most useful tip with photos I've seen in a long time. I think I'll print that out and carry it in my bike kit. Brilliant! :icon_thumbsup: I had one go in the rain at night. I bought a bulb easily enough but I had to half disassemble the bike just to see what was going on to be able to change it. (dark car park :icon_confused: , still raining)