CBR1100XX.org Forum

Oil Change

BadAndy

Can someone please point me to the post about changing the oil with removing the fairing. Im pretty sure I read it here but I cant find it. Changed my oil yesterday for the first time. I planned on NOT removing the side fairing because "I can get my hand on the filter so I should be able to remove it". HA! After fighting with it for the better part of the morning, I removed the faring, jammed a screwdriver through it and twisted it off that way. Sheesh.

And By the way, anyone know where I can get those little plastic pop rivets for the fairing? I couple of them were destroyed in the battle.

Thanks for your help!

Bad Andy

1100XX

Titanium is faster!

Can someone please point me to the post about changing the oil with removing the fairing. Im pretty sure I read it here but I cant find it. Changed my oil yesterday for the first time. I planned on NOT removing the side fairing because "I can get my hand on the filter so I should be able to remove it". HA! After fighting with it for the better part of the morning, I removed the faring, jammed a screwdriver through it and twisted it off that way. Sheesh.

And By the way, anyone know where I can get those little plastic pop rivets for the fairing? I couple of them were destroyed in the battle.

Thanks for your help!

Bad Andy

1100XX

Titanium is faster!

Link

I don't remember mine being very difficult. I used a compression filter wrench from the auto parts store and fit it between the headers. While laying on the ground you can see everything so there was no mystery. Maybe your filter was way too tight.

Check John's Bike Bits for the pins. :icon_wink:

Maybe your filter was way too tight.

+1 on that; the filter should never need that much effort to get off, unless it

was put on way too tight on the last change. I think the common spec is to

tighten it only 3/4 of a turn after the o-ring on the filter hits the metal of the

engine, and that should be doable without any tools, just hand tight, at least

that's all it takes for me to do it. I've never had an oil filter leak and have

never had to put too much effort into taking it off at the next change. All of

this is doable without removing any body work.

Fantastic! Thats the article I was talking about ! SO my filter was just too damn tight! Next time should be easier!

And thanks for the heads up about the Push pine rivit thingys!

Thanks again!

Bad Andy

11XX

Titanium is faster