CBR1100XX.org Forum

reloading

I am looking to start reloading my own rifle ammo and was wondering if anyone has any basic reloading gear they want to get rid of for cheap. right now I have nothing so I don't really know what I need other than powder bullets and brass. thanks

I am looking to start reloading my own rifle ammo and was wondering if anyone has any basic reloading gear they want to get rid of for cheap. right now I have nothing so I don't really know what I need other than powder bullets and brass. thanks

You need good information right now more than you need gear... Do some online searching, or better yet - visit your local library and read a few books on the subject before you start buying reloading equipment. This is not an inexpensive pastime and will demand an investment of cash and time. It's far better to be well informed (and consequently safer by an order of magnitude) if you intend to take up this hobby; it requires precision, patience, and a modest proficiency with math... but it can be very rewarding.

You need good information right now more than you need gear... Do some online searching, or better yet - visit your local library and read a few books on the subject before you start buying reloading equipment. This is not an inexpensive pastime and will demand an investment of cash and time. It's far better to be well informed (and consequently safer by an order of magnitude) if you intend to take up this hobby; it requires precision, patience, and a modest proficiency with math... but it can be very rewarding.

I have downloaded a bunch of books and have started to read. I have a friend who reloads and can help me. Just try to get an idea of a price it will cost to start up. I have seen reloading kits only like this one http://cgi.ebay.ca/Lee-Anniversary-Reloadi...1QQcmdZViewItem

Just want something cheap to start out on to see if I will like doing it or not.

I have downloaded a bunch of books and have started to read. I have a friend who reloads and can help me. Just try to get an idea of a price it will cost to start up. I have seen reloading kits only like this one http://cgi.ebay.ca/Lee-Anniversary-Reloadi...1QQcmdZViewItem

Just want something cheap to start out on to see if I will like doing it or not.

This Lee setup should do well. I have everything pictured, except a different press. Take your time and make sure you follow a set routine. If you don't you can end up with double powder charges! Also make sure your overall length matches up with the particular bullet and powder you are using.

As everyone else has said, read up and be patient in learning the proper steps.

I reload my own ammo, and it has saved me a fortune. Reloads are significantly more accurate than storebought and cost less money in the long run, but it requires patience and a good bit of setup time. Once I'm setup, I can run about 200 or so rounds per hour, and I don't have any auto-loading on my press other than the primer part. I have a Dillon Square Deal B I think it's called, very easy to use, low maintenance pistol caliber press. Rifle presses are more involved as case length and reshaping is more critical in them, but if you plan on being deadly accurate, it's the way to go. The more money you spend at startup, the less manual labor you'll have to do. Mine rotates through all the stations, but I have to load my own cases and bullets. The guy I bought mine from had a completely automatic setup in his shop, you literally poured bullets, cases, primers, and powder into separate stations and flip a switch. He could do 1,000 rounds an hour if he had enough brass cleaned and ready to go.

I started of reloading with a Hornady single stage reloader, RCBS powder thrower and RCBS scales, primer press and dies and it worked well for a couple of years loading pistol ammo for IPSC.

I then moved to a Dillon Square Deal pistol press which loaded over 100 000 rounds before cracking ( and getting replaced free under their warranty :icon_surprised: ).

I now have a Dillon 650 which I use to reload pistol and rifle ammo, I can load 100 rounds in ~10 mins if it is full of powder and primers :icon_dance:

If you are just starting out though and only loading a small amount of ammo then a single stage will work fine, just make sure to get a decent set of scales and a load data book :icon_think: