CBR1100XX.org Forum

Should I of let the MC shop talk me into a valve adjustment?

Jaygermeister

I put my 98 in the shop to have the carbs cleaned up and adjusted of course when they saw it was a nine year old bike with over 40k on it they just knew it needed a valve adjustment. I do trust this shop, many club racers and fellow track riders swear by them. So should I let them do the valves? He told me he would log the before and after numbers of each valve tolerances so I gave them the go ahead. My bike has never seen the inside of a MC shop and has been trouble free so I figured what the hell, I’ll treat the old girl because she has been good to me.

Hope I'm not wasting my money........ oh wait, I do hope I'm wasting my money.

Jay; why would you want to do the valve check? As per my local honda dealer the blackbird 'does not need valve adjusted' They also insist there is not such a procedure as 'throttle body synchronizaton' :icon_think:

Jay; why would you want to do the valve check? As per my local honda dealer the blackbird 'does not need valve adjusted'

Ask your dealer why the people who designed the bike suggest every 16,000 miles, rather then never. Yes, even the XX occasionally has an out of spec valve or two after 40,000 miles.

They also insist there is not such a procedure as 'throttle body synchronizaton' :icon_think:

What's up roomie??

I've got a carbureted model and they haven’t been apart or cleaned............... ever. :icon_doh:

Jay; why would you want to do the valve check? As per my local honda dealer the blackbird 'does not need valve adjusted'

Ask your dealer why the people who designed the bike suggest every 16,000 miles, rather then never. Yes, even the XX occasionally has an out of spec valve or two after 40,000 miles.

Redbird is dead on here.

At 48K miles I had three valves that were too tight. Not surprising, they were exhaust valves.

Jay; why would you want to do the valve check? As per my local honda dealer the blackbird 'does not need valve adjusted' They also insist there is not such a procedure as 'throttle body synchronizaton'

Your local dealer is an idiot.

Valves are to be checked every 16k according to Honda, but the reality is they only need to be checked every 30-40K.

There is also a procedure to synchronize the start valves in the Service Manual. It does not have a procedure to synchronize the throttle plates, but they can be done, as well, but only in pairs, IIRC.

Texxas- Care to share the name of this shop? I've got a '99 that seems to be perfect. But I'm always interested in hearing about quality and trustworthy shops as they seem to be few and far between. PM me if you don't want to broadcast the m name.

Thanks,

Train

MU_Sig1.jpg

Motorcycles Unlimited

1964 FM 1960 West

Houston, TX 77090

Hours: Tues.-Fri. 10-6:30 Sat. 9-6

281 444 0545

I'm going to hold off on personally endorsing MU until I get my bike back and take it for a long ride.. But I heard so many good things about them I took a chance and drove clear across town to drop off my bike.

I let you know how it turns out

MU_Sig1.jpg

Motorcycles Unlimited

1964 FM 1960 West

Houston, TX 77090

Hours: Tues.-Fri. 10-6:30 Sat. 9-6

281 444 0545

I'm going to hold off on personally endorsing MU until I get my bike back and take it for a long ride.. But I heard so many good things about them I took a chance and drove clear across town to drop off my bike.

Jay,

I purchased my bike from Patrick, used to be the owner. It was his bike. I have heard good things about them as well.

He's still the owner. I knew you bought your bike from MU but I didn't know it was Patrick's bike. My bike will be ready Saturday but I won't have time to pick it up till Tuesday then I'll post up what was found.

Strike 1.

I called them Friday to see if my bike was ready after being there 2 weeks the owner told me it would be ready Saturday but with me working the night shift I wouldn’t be able to pick it up till Tuesday morning (today). So I get up at 10am felling like shit after working the last four nights. While I’m hooking up my trailer I thought maybe I should call. Wouldn’t you know, it’s not ready and won’t be ready till 5:30 today. That’s 5:30 during the heaviest traffic of the day and the shop is 40miles on the other side of H town. I’m not pissed but not happy.

So I guess this could be more of a foul tip than a strike.

Strike 1.

I called them Friday to see if my bike was ready after being there 2 weeks the owner told me it would be ready Saturday but with me working the night shift I wouldn't be able to pick it up till Tuesday morning (today). So I get up at 10am felling like shit after working the last four nights. While I'm hooking up my trailer I thought maybe I should call. Wouldn't you know, it's not ready and won't be ready till 5:30 today. That's 5:30 during the heaviest traffic of the day and the shop is 40miles on the other side of H town. I'm not pissed but not happy.

closer to me ???

have not heard from porter yet, will stay flexible, no biggie, let me know if I can help.

Strike 1.

I called them Friday to see if my bike was ready after being there 2 weeks the owner told me it would be ready Saturday but with me working the night shift I wouldn't be able to pick it up till Tuesday morning (today). So I get up at 10am felling like shit after working the last four nights. While I'm hooking up my trailer I thought maybe I should call. Wouldn't you know, it's not ready and won't be ready till 5:30 today. That's 5:30 during the heaviest traffic of the day and the shop is 40miles on the other side of H town. I'm not pissed but not happy.

closer to me ???

have not heard from porter yet, will stay flexible, no biggie, let me know if I can help.

At that time of day no ones close to them.

So what are we having for dinner?? What time are you going to be free? I may head out that way early and have a few drinks till dinner since I won’t be on the bike.

Oh and Porters a bitch!! :icon_bondage:

Strike 1.

closer to me ???

So what are we having for dinner?? What time are you going to be free? I may head out that way early and have a few drinks till dinner since I won't be on the bike.

I am free now, and the shop is up by his house.

You got a place, hell I don't know anything but there are a lot of places in that area.

Pick a place and I will call and tell him.

I am ready!

Strike 1.

closer to me ???

So what are we having for dinner?? What time are you going to be free? I may head out that way early and have a few drinks till dinner since I won't be on the bike.

I am free now, and the shop is up by his house.

You got a place, hell I don't know anything but there are a lot of places in that area.

Pick a place and I will call and tell him.

I am ready!

Your 30 miles away from me and I haven’t got a clue as to whats out that way. I’ll call you when I’m on my way. I’m thinking of taking off around 3:30ish