CBR1100XX.org Forum

turbo question

jermzfree

Hey everyone! I'm new on the block looking to buy a blackbird to replace my katana. I've had some crazy thoughts of buying a blackbird with a hauns turbo kit already installed in it. I have fears that the engine might be beat to #$%@ from the previous owner. I'm also not sure I want a turbo either (don't want to kill myself!) The questions I had were: 1. can a turbo drastically shorten the life of the motor? 2. how much more gas will the engine use when ridden nicely? 3. is it possible to unhook the turbo or bypass it without removing it from the bike? I would also be interested in knowing what anyone's impressions are about going turbo. Good idea? worth the $$$? any reliability issues??

Thanks.

Hey everyone! I'm new on the block looking to buy a blackbird to replace my katana. I've had some crazy thoughts of buying a blackbird with a hauns turbo kit already installed in it. I have fears that the engine might be beat to #$%@ from the previous owner. I'm also not sure I want a turbo either (don't want to kill myself!) The questions I had were: 1. can a turbo drastically shorten the life of the motor? 2. how much more gas will the engine use when ridden nicely? 3. is it possible to unhook the turbo or bypass it without removing it from the bike? I would also be interested in knowing what anyone's impressions are about going turbo. Good idea? worth the $$$? any reliability issues??

Thanks.

The search function is your friend... Forrest (XX4ME) has posted about this plenty, although I don't know what kind of mileage he gets... I gather it isn't too horrible as long as he stays out of the boost...

1. CAN it shorten the life, yes. If it's set up right, with lower compression (it's probably not), who knows. Forrest ended up with a holed piston shortly after putting his Hahn kit on, and ended up with all forged internals (with low compression pistons), I believe.

3. Not without removing the thing completely

I do know that Forrest is disgusted with Hahn's kit, and has had to re-weld the header multiple times and add a support bracket for it. He's also got in his sig line "friends don't let friends buy Hahn turbo kits"

Do a search and you should come up with all kinds of info...

I will say, though, that you should ride a regular 'bird before deciding you want a turbo'd 'bird... Coming off a Kat, the 'bird has a TON of power EVERYWHERE. I didn't catch where you were from, but if you're around Indy, you can take mine for a spin.

Mike

Hey Bartonmd. Thanks for the advice. I was reluctant to go turbo for the main reason of reliablity issues. The blackbird is top on my list because its a Honda, and I hear from everyone that they are bulletproof. My Katana wasn't. :icon_frown: I have taken a few blackbirds on test rides and have been a little dissappointed in the power especially in the low end. They are definately not as fast as a busa. But aren't these bikes geared for going 130+ smoothly? If these bikes go 95mph at 6k couldn't you drop the front sprocket down a couple teeth and go up a few in the back and still be able to travel at highway speeds smoothly without getting to high in the rpm's?

hell. my bird is rock solid at anything over 20mph. as far as turbo... have you had a bird up and over 7k yet? if not i would suggest you give that a try before making your choice. the damn thing grows 2 or 3 more balls at 7krpm. WARNING: dont sit up at 170mph in an attempt to slow down. the wind will rip you off the bike. please remember that I AM an idiot.

Hey Bartonmd. Thanks for the advice. I was reluctant to go turbo for the main reason of reliability issues. The blackbird is top on my list because its a Honda, and I hear from everyone that they are bulletproof. My Katana wasn't. :icon_frown: I have taken a few blackbirds on test rides and have been a little disappointed in the power especially in the low end. They are definitely not as fast as a Busa. But aren't these bikes geared for going 130+ smoothly? If these bikes go 95mph at 6k couldn't you drop the front sprocket down a couple teeth and go up a few in the back and still be able to travel at highway speeds smoothly without getting to high in the rpm's?

Do a search, a lot of people have put on the 16T sprocket from a VFR which apparently really wakes the XX up down low, I mean they are geared for 180mph top speeds but how many do that regularly if at all :icon_surprised:

I am going to put a 16T front sprocket on my 98 Ti XX when my chain needs replacing as being a big guy ~300lb's I find sometimes she is just a little sluggish while cornering in second gear in tight stuff :icon_think:

Hey Bartonmd. Thanks for the advice. I was reluctant to go turbo for the main reason of reliablity issues. The blackbird is top on my list because its a Honda, and I hear from everyone that they are bulletproof. My Katana wasn't. :icon_frown: I have taken a few blackbirds on test rides and have been a little dissappointed in the power especially in the low end. They are definately not as fast as a busa. But aren't these bikes geared for going 130+ smoothly? If these bikes go 95mph at 6k couldn't you drop the front sprocket down a couple teeth and go up a few in the back and still be able to travel at highway speeds smoothly without getting to high in the rpm's?

You didn't say what size Katana you had. If it was the 1100, I can see why your concerned about low end power. Mine was quite the torque monster also, but nothing compared to my 99 Bird with one tooth off the front sprocket. The fuel-injected Birds have a lot better low and mid-range than the carburated models. Have you ridden any 99 or later models? I did some roll-ons with a modified V-Max once and spanked him like a red-headed step child. :icon_evilgrin:

I guess for me it comes down to really wanting a fast bike that can I wheelie!

If this is your bike selection criteria, then I'd think that there are many other options on the market for you to explore.

Sure you can wheelie a BB and get pretty wild, just remember, it is a 500lb+ bike, without a rider.

Have you considered what many riders end up with... owning several bikes? one for this style, one for that style, etc

I think I recall reading somewhere that the high speed wheelie record was set on a BB, or maybe I am mistaken

+1 to the guy that said to try it out over 7000rpm,

the smile on your face is from the wind pulling your cheeks back to your ears

Ride safe, have fun, keep the rubber side down.

I red-lined both a 97 and a 2003 and was not impressed with the 2003 at all. I was wondering if the guy broke the motor in right which had only 5k because it didn't impress me. The 97 I rode gave me a nick pleasant punch in the gut when I got it over 7k. Compared to the busa it was nothing. My face was frozen in shock like I just saw a grizzley murder after opening up the busa! But I don't like Suzuki and really want a Honda, so my plans are to get a 99+ with a power comander and possibly soop it up a bit. Don't get me wrong I think these are great bikes. Very refined, balanced, smooth and fast. Not as much of a toy as the busa is. I don't want two street bikes. I want one all around great bike to do all my adventuring on. Thanks for all the great input guys! :icon_biggrin:

You are correct about the Busa' being a lot punchier, but a bit of a gearing change on the XX makes a big difference. You say you want a bike to pull some nice wheelies. Well, to start off, how much do you weigh? Me at about 205 ( with my bike's suspension up to stock height ) can power wheelie in second gear with a health tug on the bars @7,500 rpm no problem. But I can tell you this for sure,,,,,, if you get a decently maintained XX, you'll find that you'll be fixing a whole lot less than your canatuna an less than a Busa' as well. For instance, I've got somewhere around 180 launches on the drag strip on my bike and the clutch is perfect with 20K total miles. How many bikes can you say that about?

If your not satisfied with a stock XX You WONT be satisfied with it after power comander,pipe's,filter,etc.....

The Blackbird is a very outdated platform, dont try & turn it into a nee dragging/wheelie sport's bike it will bite you in the ass, plus all other model's are light-year's ahead of the old Blackbird by now.

20K? 20K???????

I had 15K on mine when we met, 52K just now and I'm off to California via Chattanooga, KC, Boulder and then back via KC, Chicago and then home. I'll have over 55K by the time I get home.

Damn, I'm tired of buying tires for this bike. :icon_cool: :icon_cool:

Ya' see Ed, I have all these friends that call me all the time to go out riding and because of that I end up mostly just going to the track by myself. Shit, even the wife doesn't want to go out on the bike much anymore. I guess I must have a body odor problem or something.

But hi-Jack off now , what CX said is prob' true in your case as well. The XX ( although suited well for many ) may not be what you are looking for. Yes it can handle some Hooligan crap, but it's no lightweight. It's heft along with the fact that it's designed with technology that's 10+ years old may disappoint you if maximum HP is what you are mainly looking for. Still it's much better than lets say a ZZR, but it's no ZX-10 for sure. That bike may fit your riding style better.

Hey Beondwacko, I weigh 165lbs. Is there a setting on the mono rear shock that can allow you to adjust it to your height and weight like most shocks? If you made the shock stiffer might it make the front tire want to wheelie more easiely?

I'm not looking for a knee-draging all-out sports bike. I'm looking for a happy medium within my price range. The kawasaki zx-14 you cannot get for under 10k in like new shape. The busa is a little cheaper. I'm seeing a lot of Blackbirds with under 10k miles for around 5k. Thanks for the advice on the power comander. Won't make a huge difference?

The kawasaki zx-14 you cannot get for under 10k in like new shape.

Low milage, clean examples can be had all day for low to mid 8s, and that's just going down as the '08s roll in. You can buy a new '06 for under 10k if you shop around.

I spent $8,500 on mine and it had $1,200 worth of aftermarket crap on it and that was much earlier in the year.

:ZX14 pimp mode off: :icon_wink:

Things to remember about the bird and wheelies. Soft suspension, Run her up to 4k, back off slightly to let the suspension compress, and WOT. It will lift my 230 lb ass in first and second, and on a cold day when I don't want to a occasional third.

There have been a few threads about the oil pickup being forward on this engine. Long wheelies/ short engine life. I don't know if it is true, but I would check into it.

These bikes are great at what they were designed to do. Long distance, hyper speed rides with little required in service.

They don't throw around the track like a 600, and there are newer, bigger bikes out there.

But you won't find a better looking bike or one that is more reliable.

Hey Beondwacko, I weigh 165lbs. Is there a setting on the mono rear shock that can allow you to adjust it to your height and weight like most shocks? If you made the shock stiffer might it make the front tire want to wheelie more easiely?

Preload and rebound compression are the only adjustments available to the rear shock on the XX as far as I know of. Yes, a stiffer rear suspension would make for and easier time on getting the front end in the air, but I'm no wheelie guy. I preferr brutal holeshots myself at the drag strip.