CBR1100XX.org Forum

Light-Headed

dynamicxx

Came back from a long ride yesterday, (16 Deg. Cel), not many days left.

Noticed at every stop I could def. smell gas! Checked under, over and every where that I could look, but did not see and drips/leaks. Will tear tank, seat fairings etc off this week and have a closer look. Has anyone experienced this before? Should I be looking specifically at the fuel rail for example or any known areas that have leaked on someone else?

'Tanks!

I've never identified a history or pattern of leaks in all the years I've been watching the XX forums. Obviously, the best places to look will be where there are connections.

Perhaps some was spilled on a tank bag, or clothing? Try your regular gasoline...some have different odors that you may have fueled with on your trip.

Sorry...not much help.

Could it be coming from your exhaust? I have on occasion after stopping after a ride where I have been giving the XX some heavy throttle that I get a slight fuel smell from the exhaust that usually goes after a few minutes but can be quite strong if I sniff the exhaust - usually when I get down to lube the chain :icon_think:

It is interesting because the exhaust pipes are not particularly black and sooty :icon_confused:

Could it be coming from your exhaust? I have on occasion after stopping after a ride where I have been giving the XX some heavy throttle that I get a slight fuel smell from the exhaust that usually goes after a few minutes but can be quite strong if I sniff the exhaust - usually when I get down to lube the chain :icon_think:

It is interesting because the exhaust pipes are not particularly black and sooty :icon_confused:

+1

I know mines running rich cause it always has a strong fuel smell from the exhaust especially when you first start it. I start it up in the garage every now and then for about 15 seconds to drive away bugs and spiders. :icon_biggrin:

+1

I know mines running rich cause it always has a strong fuel smell from the exhaust especially when you first start it. I start it up in the garage every now and then for about 15 seconds to drive away bugs and spiders. :icon_biggrin:

My bike has always ran rich (Dear Santa, need Power Commander). But in the 7 years I have owned it never smelled the fumes before. It's always when I have stopped, shut off the bike etc. Will look closer when the snow flies.

Thanks for the input!

When was the last tune-up?

If the plugs are old, they may not be burning as efficiently, contributing to the fuel smell.

new last year (Spring). only 3000 Km's since then, I checked. Trying to split my time on the 'Bird and my 1990 RZ350.

I'm hoping these suggestions you guys are coming up with will be the answer. Not looking forward to a split fuel hose or the like :icon_confused: