CBR1100XX.org Forum

Is It Back???

GriffXX

So I'm in WallyWorld looking for some oil. You know, the 954RR has to be running well for the bigger sisters at NeXXt.

And I see Mobil 1, 15W-50, grey cap, non energy conserving, with a 'New' label on it - and I think WTF??

I thought our old Red Cap was now a Gold cap with red lettering.

This stuff isn't the Clean 7500, High Mileage, or any of their other specialty oils. So I go to their website and click on it...."Back by popular demand, Mobil 1® 15W-50's high viscosity provides outstanding performance in high-revving, high-temperature conditions."

Does anybody know if this is the stuff we all used to swear-by?

http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/MotorOil..._1_15W-50_.aspx

I was looking for the gold cap stuff at Wal-Mart the other day and saw the exact same thing. No gold cap anymore, looks like it is the gray cap. Damn Mobil keeps changing shit. It irritated me enough that I ended up buying the Rotella T Syn in 5w - 40. Blue gallon jug.

Why not use the best? Over the life of the bike you spend $100 or $200 extra.

http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/MotorOil..._4T_10W-40.aspx

When you sell, you may get the money back. I'd pay $200 extra if one bike had M1-4T.

Good question. The answers are:

1.) I haven't seen it around here very much, if at all.

2.) I was just asking if this is the old stuff that has been proven by thousands of bikers and heavy endurance riders over many, many years (and not just the XX board).

3.) The Gold Cap 15W-50 is their Extended Performance (service intervals) line, so I never really was sure it was 'the same' as the old Red Cap. Just asking.

You'd pay an extra $200 for a bike that has been run with the 4T? You'd know that how?

I was looking for the gold cap stuff at Wal-Mart the other day and saw the exact same thing. No gold cap anymore, looks like it is the gray cap. Damn Mobil keeps changing shit. It irritated me enough that I ended up buying the Rotella T Syn in 5w - 40. Blue gallon jug.

Rich - the Gold Cap is still on their web site under their Extended Performane line. that's why I'm not sure if Mobil 1 changed, or if WallyWord keeps changing what they carry on us.