CBR1100XX.org Forum

I give up!

Rubcicube

02 Bird 37,900 miles. Serges at a constant throttle setting. Idles fine. Seems to run fine when throttle is applied. Have replaced spark plugs, air filter and run a can of Sea Foam thur. Nothing helped. In neutral applying the throttle to increase revs, bike does not sound smooth. Bike does not back fire. Old plugs with 37,900 miles on them didn't look too bad. This problem seems to have delevoped overnight. What next Doc?

Thanks for any help,

John

Surges at a constant throttle setting. Idles fine. Seems to run fine when throttle is applied. Have replaced spark plugs, air filter and run a can of Sea Foam thur. Nothing helped. In neutral applying the throttle to increase revs, bike does not sound smooth. Bike does not back fire.

Did you have the bike apart for anyreason before this occurred... like the tank off? Were you chainging plugs or air filter and then soon after this occured? The bird is real funny about having all its vacuum lines connectetd correctly.

When it hesitates... what RPM does it start. Does it occur when the bike is hot as well as whem you start it up?

Surges at a constant throttle setting. Idles fine. Seems to run fine when throttle is applied. Have replaced spark plugs, air filter and run a can of Sea Foam thur. Nothing helped. In neutral applying the throttle to increase revs, bike does not sound smooth. Bike does not back fire.

Did you have the bike apart for anyreason before this occurred... like the tank off? Were you chainging plugs or air filter and then soon after this occured? The bird is real funny about having all its vacuum lines connectetd correctly.

When it hesitates... what RPM does it start. Does it occur when the bike is hot as well as whem you start it up?

I had done nothing to the bike before this occurred. The filter and plug change came after the problem developed. You really start to notice this at 3500rpm. The bike jerks when held at constant rpm and it doesn't matter what rpm. Hot or cold. Bike is completely stock. I'm leaning toward the pressure regulator, but will have to have a professional test for me. In the mean time I will double check all the hoses.

Thanks for your help,

John

I hate going through trying to figure this type of problem out only to find out they forgot to tell you that they were "changing" a air filter or something easy like that... and it turns out to be a hose not all the way plugged in or something like that. So I try to look at the obvious first.

I agree with you... and would lean towards fuel as well. It sounds like a lean condition.

QUOTE(Rubcicube @ Aug 26 2007, 09:01 PM)

QUOTE(2equis @ Aug 26 2007, 03:55 PM)

Air leak somewhere? Any mods done?

No mods. No FI light. One day it ran fine, the next this problem developed and has stayed .

Thanks again,

John

Are the plug wires installed in the correct order? (I know, sounds stupid but you never know)

Still leaning towards air leak or bad sensor. Are the fuel/vent lines installed correctly? Only other thing I can think of.

I know this is in a opposite direction, but how is your chain? I had one that was stretched on one half, and sticky links on the other. It made the bike lurch. Came on suddenly because I used the wrong cleaner.

I know this is in a opposite direction, but how is your chain? I had one that was stretched on one half, and sticky links on the other. It made the bike lurch. Came on suddenly because I used the wrong cleaner.

+1 on checking the chain out thoroughly...

You'd be surprised how much a worn or maladjusted chain will lurch at a constant rpm...

Thank you Redxxrdr and Ironmike for solving my probelm. Not a tight link, but a too tightly adjusted chain. Bike has a +6mm Wilber shock and chain was adjusted on center stand to factor settings. Too tight. Thanks to all who offered solutions.

I now have my great bird back.

Thanks again,

John