CBR1100XX.org Forum

Dodged a bullet today

Stinger_916

I cannot believe this happened, I was heading up an on ramp to route 8 north in Waterbury when I was just about to the top of the ramp the bike went straight to the red line. I thought I missed a gear so I pull in the clutch lift up firmly and ease the clutch out and still no power. So I pull over just before entering the highway and I looked down at the rear wheel only to find no chain. My heart sank as I thought the case was trashed. Turns out the master link let go and the chain just rolled off the sprockets and laid right down on the ground.

So I get the bike home and I visit my local parts guy to get a new link and he gives me both the clip type and the press on & peen over type. when I get home I looked at the link that had came off, thinking it was the peen over type, when in fact it was the clip type that I peened over. I never felt like such a fool. But I don't remember any clips in the bag that the master link came in.

The last time I replaced a chain you got both master links in the box with the chain, is this not so anymore? Do you have to order the master link you want?

Glad you and the bike are OK....could have turned out a bit different if you were WFO and catching MACH 1.

Someone was looking out for you today !

Boy Dave you said it, as I was sitting waiting for my truck and trailer to arrive I as thinking that very thing. Normally I would have been really on the gas due to the lane changes I needed to make immediately upon entering the highway but this time was different. Call it what you will, I was just happy that the case was not leaking antifreeze and the only real dammage was a few scrapes on the rear wheel.

Glad you and the bike are OK....could have turned out a bit different if you were WFO and catching MACH 1.

Someone was looking out for you today !

Boy Dave you said it, as I was sitting waiting for my truck and trailer to arrive I as thinking that very thing. Normally I would have been really on the gas due to the lane changes I needed to make immediately upon entering the highway but this time was different. Call it what you will, I was just happy that the case was not leaking antifreeze and the only real dammage was a few scrapes on the rear wheel.

Was it a fluke....

Did you put the master on, shop, or dealer?

Well, after today....don't think of what if....just make sure it's on this time !

Glad you are OK.

The last two chains I replaced, my DID and a friends (EK?) were rivet chains and only came with the rivet link.

I ordered a second link, because I have over spread the link before.

How many miles were on your chain?

No I don't think it was a fluke. When I compared the two master links the one I had on the bike looked just like the clip type he gave me. I am sure you have seen them, they have that small ring around the end of the pin for the clip to sit in. When I put this chain on in the spring I must have thought I could install the clip or just peen it over, not knowing they were not interchangeable. So this time I made sure it was the peen over type and at the advice of my parts guy after I installed the master with my RK chain tool I took a center punch with a shallow angled tip and with a few raps of the ball-peen hammer I mushroomed the end bit. So I don't think it will be coming off in the future.

Glad you are OK.

The last two chains I replaced, my DID and a friends (EK?) were rivet chains and only came with the rivet link.

I ordered a second link, because I have over spread the link before.

How many miles were on your chain?

Thanks Red, I am glad I am ok to. I had about 2000 miles on this chain.

Do you want the service manual back :icon_razz:

Damn bro, glad to hear you and the bike are okay!

No I don't need the whole thing just the part about how to put the chain on correctly! Also some advice on how to pull my head out of my ass.

Thanks for the concern.

Dear Magic Eight Ball, will Stinger ever use clip type master links again?

Eight Ball Says: Doubtful

Where was this eight ball when I was fucking up!!!!!

Let's rephrase that comment to "use a clip-type master link in error thinking it was a rivet-type." I know for a fact that a clip-type with the clip in it will last 20,000 miles on an XX.

I am sure the clip type will last as long as you put the clip in it!!! I still cannot believe I did that! Oh and to top it all off now I don't want to get on the gas for fear I will do some real damage. Go figure

I know for a fact that a clip-type with the clip in it can last 20,000 miles on an XX.

Fixed that for you.

So did mine. only replaced the clip 3 times. :icon_rolleyes: Never again.

Just riveted new chain on the KLX650. IT had a clip type.

FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS RIDE WITH CLIPS!

OK, Redbird, I guess I'll have to fix that back then. The correct wording should be "have lasted". What works for some may not work for others, and I understand that. Just like a lot of people don't think that you can put a 75 shot of nitrous on a non-modified XX engine. To each his own, I guess.

Parts are always going to fail. Some people only believe in Honda oil and Honda filters, getting all their parts from Honda, having all their service done at Honda. That's fine. A lot of people throw whatever they want on their bike, Fram oil filters, full synthetic oil with moly, no air filters for more power, do all their maintenance with pliers and a Big Lots tool kit. That's fine too. So when the Honda oil filter fails and the Fram doesn't, the latter guy thinks he's smarter. When the moly oil tears up a clutch and the Honda oil doesn't, the first guy thinks he's smarter. Things are going to happen, regardless of how much you spend or how little you spend, how well you keep up with maintenance or how well you don't keep up with maintenance. Shit happens.

For me, a clip-type master link has not failed. The clip-type chain lasted longer than the DID chain with very similar maintenance procedures. And I'm sorry, but I don't think any chain company would list a clip-type master link chain as safe for a Busa, XX, and ZX14 if it wasn't, because in this sue-happy country we live in, somebody would have called them on it by now. They work for me, they may not work for others. I had one on my bike for 20,000 miles, and it took me longer to take the clip off and get the sideplate loose than it would have been to just cut the chain in half with a grinder. These clip-type master links are designed to go on and stay on nowadays, not anywhere close to the ones from back when we all rode bicycles and could take them off with any tool you had close by.

Fair enough, and I'll agree the mechanic/operator is a large percentage of the equation. And yes, shit still just plain happens.

I'd still maintain that all things being equal, a rivet master link is the more reliable of the two.

I'm with you on the more reliable thing, but it goes back to what you also said about the mechanic in question. I do not have the tools nor the ability to install a rivet master link. I have heard of both shadetree and professional mechanics royally screwing up a master link because of not getting it right. Since I can't do it, I don't know anybody around here who I would trust doing it for me, and if you take your own part to a shop to get something done and something happens, they tell you you're shit out of luck, I'll just stick with the chain that I can install and not mess up.

Anyway, on with the show!

You were extremely lucky, a friend of mine in New Orleans had the same problem but it took out the engine casing.

I count my blessings every day, someone was watching over me that's for sure.

I don't believe the master link failed, I think I failed. I should have had someone just take a look at it to make sure I did not forget anything. We are all human and make mistakes, I am just lucky that this mistake only cost me $5 for a new link, it outcome could have been very, very different.