CBR1100XX.org Forum

Clutch(?) making funny sound when from idle to 2k

Bunbun

'02 XX

30k miles

Synthetic

So lately I've noticed a really odd sound coming from around where the clutch is but I can't really narrow it down other than on the right side of the bike down around the dipstick. At idle everything sounds great and the bike runs great, however if I pop the throttle when the bike is idling and in neutral, it makes a sound like a slipping clutch. Without the clutch lever being in. It's very brief and lasts only a part of a second. Additionally, if I roll it on (even kinda quickly) instead of smack it open it doesn't make the sound.

Any idea what the problem could be? I've adjusted the clutch bar a tad both in and out and it hasn't really made a difference, but I may not have moved it enough -- think that could be it or is it something more innocuous?

Bun

What's a clutch bar? Do you mean the handlebar lever?

You'll get a little clutch noise if the idle is too low, or when its really hot out and the oil is a bit thinner. When at an idle in neutral, there's essentially nothing to slip, so I'm at a loss to imagine your noise.

Does it go away with the clutch in?

And....does it make a sort of tinkling sound? If so, it may be time for a CCT....the sound from that is referred right out from under the fairing in that area.

What's a clutch bar? Do you mean the handlebar lever?

You'll get a little clutch noise if the idle is too low, or when its really hot out and the oil is a bit thinner. When at an idle in neutral, there's essentially nothing to slip, so I'm at a loss to imagine your noise.

Does it go away with the clutch in?

And....does it make a sort of tinkling sound? If so, it may be time for a CCT....the sound from that is referred right out from under the fairing in that area.

Yeah, the handlebar lever.

I actually haven't tried it with the clutch in oddly enough, although in retrospect I should have done that probably immediately considering I thought it was a clutch issue. And yeah, I'm kinda puzzled... nothing engaged so why the noise? I haven't really listened for a tinkling sound (like piss on concrete? :D ) and by that I assume you mean like broken glass being shaken? It does give a kinda 'brrrrrrp' sound though.

I'll check it when I get on to go home. I'll look into the CCT thing tho -- pretty cheap, easy (right?) and it's not going to hurt anything. I'll also see if I can't narrow it down more.

EDIT: Looked around and researched the CCT issue and I think that could be it. Gonna get one and swap it out regardless. Thanks!

Bun