CBR1100XX.org Forum

Ran into a mountain

Parts needed are as follows (of course, this is a partial list from the Honda stealer and may or may not reflect reality):

64460-MAT-A00ZB COWL SET, R (TYPE 6)

88110-MAT-D01ZA MIR, R. *NH359M*

64230-MAT-D01ZG COWL SET *NH359M*

64591-MAT-D00ZA COVER, R. *NH375R*

64310-MAT-000ZB PANEL, R. *NH375R*

11321-MAT-E00 COVER, ALTERNATOR

64500-MAT-D01 STAY, COWL (UPPER)

555256 WINDSHIELD SMOKE-HONDA

I'm not sure about the Alternator cover, thought it was a clutch cover and no idea what the panel, R is. Basically, ripped off the right mirror, part of the upper cowl and pushed the dash back so I need a cowl stay for that. Also, pegs and wind screen would be nice. I'll take offers, advice, and a little harrasment if needed, I was wearing gear and the impact was at <20mph. Rock against plastic, rock wins.

I'll take pics and if I can figure it out, I'll post them here for all to see.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

The alternator cover is on the left side of the engine. If all the damage is on the right, that's not needed. The large roundish cover that your right foot sits by is the clutch cover.

The mirror can be disassembled and the parts replaced. Typically one would need the mirror cover (painted plastic piece) and the mirror stay (folding arm). But if yours is destroyed, then yes, you need the whole assembly.

64310 and 64591 are the dash plastics that cover the space between the fairing and the bike.

I'll take offers, advice, and a little harrasment if needed, I was wearing gear and the impact was at <20mph. Rock against plastic, rock wins.

Okay, Stop hitting mountains dumbass :icon_biggrin:

Glad to hear you're okay.

Keep an eye on Ebay there's a bunch of parts on there right now that may help you out.

I'll take offers, advice, and a little harrasment if needed, I was wearing gear and the impact was at <20mph. Rock against plastic, rock wins.

Okay, Stop hitting mountains dumbass :icon_biggrin:

Glad to hear you're okay.

Keep an eye on Ebay there's a bunch of parts on there right now that may help you out.

I was just riding through a nice boring prarie and suddenly this big ass mountain popped out of no where! :icon_biggrin:

I was riding on 152, a great mountain road, and with all the rains lately, we were only hitting mid 20's in the straits. Came out of a curve and had someone on a red (V-strom/Bandit?) pass so I slowed down to 15ish as I approached a mild hill. Over the hill was a dip and curve left with a 3' stretch of sand in the middle about 2" across and 1" deep, I hit the last 3 inches of it and the front pushed over a few feet for a near high side, went from 15-20 deg left to 10 deg right lean, would have been fine except that I was headed across the road at about 30 degrees. Managed to get her upright and facing the solid yellow at about 5 deg before departing asphault. Then through a 15' patch of soft dirt into a rock and over we went. I didn't even get thrown off, just forward enough to break the screen just above my right bicep.

I do need an alternator cover because the right mirror was torn off the bike and bent the cowl stay back about 4-5 inches. This put the dash in line with the front break lever and when I went full left to turn around, over she went on the left side, gravel cut into the cover. Damn it. :icon_rolleyes: So, now I've got State Farm paying to cover the damage and my wife making sure my ego stays deflated for a few days.

I have a Black 99' bird and looking over the whole thing, I need to add the fron foot pegs, he feelers broke off inside their sockets and I think it would just be easier to replace the whole part then to get the stubs out. Also, I was thinking I'd replace the windscreen with an Airblade. They just look mean and I like it!

Thanks for caring everyone.

If you're doing this via the insurance, go over the bike with a fine tooth comb, and don't forget to get a new helmet and gear out of it if they were damaged. If you're going to take an insurance hit, you might as well have it made all perfect....they won't do you any favors.

Keep in mind that in a right side impact, the lower fairing mount that is an extension of the oilpan is often broken off. If you can push in the lower fairing bolt, then its been broken. The estimate should then include the cost of the oilpan, bracket, and replacement. Also, if your front cowl is smacked, check for broken tabs on the headlight and instrument cluster, both of which warrant replacement.

But never, never throw anything away unless its pulverized. Somebody will need it. (like me.... :icon_wink: )

If you're doing this via the insurance, go over the bike with a fine tooth comb, and don't forget to get a new helmet and gear out of it if they were damaged. If you're going to take an insurance hit, you might as well have it made all perfect....they won't do you any favors.

Keep in mind that in a right side impact, the lower fairing mount that is an extension of the oilpan is often broken off. If you can push in the lower fairing bolt, then its been broken. The estimate should then include the cost of the oilpan, bracket, and replacement. Also, if your front cowl is smacked, check for broken tabs on the headlight and instrument cluster, both of which warrant replacement.

But never, never throw anything away unless its pulverized. Somebody will need it. (like me.... :icon_wink: )

The Honda guys didn't find the broken lower cowel stay but I can buy one for 6 bucks so wasn't worried about it. If you are correct and it's part of the oil pan, I'll have the estimate revised. Can't be that hard to do... I know, wishful thinking. I did tell them about the helmet and the answer is buy one and give us the reciept. I can live with that. I'll check the tabs, I'm thinking I'll have to replace at least part of that cluster but there was not direct impact on that area so I hope it's not a problem. Thanks for the advice.

Good luck.

I've been hunting for an assortment for right-hand-side parts since April and I'm still lacking.

The parts are easy enough to get, just have to pay Honda a ton for them. On the positive side, most of the parts listed from the dealer are marked up about 40-75%. State Farm is going ot cut a check that will pay for everything, I just don't want to pay as much as the shop wants for the parts.

If you need to get new parts call University Motors in Fargo, ND (701)235-6478. They give members of this forum a nice discount. Honda Line Direct also does. I don't know their contact info, you'll have to search this forum.

Typical savings is 30-40% off retail.

If you need to get new parts call University Motors in Fargo, ND (701)235-6478. They give members of this forum a nice discount. Honda Line Direct also does. I don't know their contact info, you'll have to search this forum.

Thank you. I hadn't heard about that but it'll make parts even cheaper. That's allways good.

Thank you. I hadn't heard about that but it'll make parts even cheaper. That's allways good.

Honda Directline has a nice parts fische online with their prices listed for easy reference at:

www.HDLParts.com

• 1 month later...
I think it my be time for you to choose and different rout.

God I miss those roads! I lived in El Paso for a few years in the early 90's and wore my old sportster out up there. I can only imagine how dry it is up there right now.

"Keep in mind that in a right side impact, the lower fairing mount that is an extension of the oilpan is often broken off. If you can push in the lower fairing bolt, then its been broken."

And, if you still have the mount, you can take it to a welding shop and have them weld it back on......and pocket the cost of the new oil pan. Or, if you're really cheap, JB Weld will work, too. :icon_hump:

Well, it just keeps getting better. After the wreck on the mountain, the bike was still ridable so I continued to ride it to work. on Oct 27, I was in the turn lane about 3 feet back from the thick white like when a little girl, who has no license and no insurance, decided to run over me. the front of the bike is trash. forks bent, plastic shattered, headlight assembly torn off.... just ugly. I was thrown off and my back was tweaked a little but seem to be fine otherwise, just bumps and brusies. Anyway, I think the old girl has had it. I spent a week in bed and am now back at work although not nearly as productive as I was 3 weeks ago. Took her to the shop yesterday, we'll see what they have to say about it....

Byron

Jeepers, man. Nothing like a suicidal bike. Hope you're okay.

Now sue the dipshit, or take it out in trade.

Forgot to mention that along with no license and no insurance, it was someone elses car. I don't think sueing her would be worth the effort, I could own her entire world and still owe the lawyer more than I get. Damnit.

I'll look into the judgement, although I think mine will fall just behind State Farm's. They are going to chase her for everything they have to spend on me under the uninsured motorist policy I keep (Thank God I've been keeping that policy). Anyway, I won't be doing much of anything until we find out the extent of my problems. MRI at 11:45 tomorrow to check for ruptured disks in my back. I still ache whenever I've been laying down, sitting up, walking or breathing for too long so we're gong to make sure it's just normal aches and pains, not internal injury related aches and pains. Anyway, I'll get over it and be back in the saddle as soon as I can. The part I hate most (after having my baby beat up) is that I had ordered a new helmet 2 days prior to the wreck and now it's sitting in my closet just begging for a ride. I may have to borrow a bike in the next week... :icon_whistle: just no one tell my wife. :icon_biggrin: