CBR1100XX.org Forum

It's the first time I'm changing my air filter

rcskisfast

I've got 12,000 mi on my air cleaner on my 03 bird, picked up one today at the Honda dealer. Any shortcuts, suggestions, or warnings would be appreicated. Thanks Ron

Lift up the tank, open the airbox, R and R the air cleaner, put everything back together, go riding.

Run your tank near empty first.

6.34 gallon tank it a pain in the ass to fiddle with. If you got it over 1/2 full and lift it up out of your way from the front you will hear something leaking and smell gas.

Your floor and shoes will be covered with gas.

I turn the fuel tap off first :icon_wink::icon_whistle:

Just have to remember to turn it back on afterwards :icon_doh:

+1 For doing it with an empty tank - not like me fill up the day before :icon_doh:

I've got a tip. Keep your old filter.

This is for 97 and 98. I'm sure it will work for 99 and up, but you'll have to do your own research for what fits.

I have been successful at cutting/dremmeling out the old filter material, cutting a Purolator filter for a car to size, (couldn't find an exact size match have to shorten one end) and hot gluing it into the old filter plate.

Purolator filter # A24378

It's not just that I'm cheap (I am) but it breathes better, runs stronger, Went up 2 mpg, is available at any auto parts store even on Sunday, and costs $7 instead of $35 for the Honda filter you WILL have to order.

I've got 2 plates to rotate through, I can build the next filter at my leisure while running the other.

Be sure to reconnect the hoses correctly. Don't ask how I would know...

I also changed the plugs when i had the tank off... but it's likely not time for you to do that just yet...

I'm not sure where the link is but someone has a picture base turorial on this. Warchild maybe? I had the same question a few months ago and I'm glad I followed the instructions. No need to undo hoses or the like if it's a simple air filter swap. You pull the metal sleeves that hold the tank down, pull the tank back, put just the bolts in, prop the fron of the tank up with a block of wood, and swap the filter. Takes no more than 10 minutes.

Someone post up that link if you know where it's at.

I also changed the plugs when i had the tank off... but it's likely not time for you to do that just yet...

found it - Spark Plug Maintenance

http://www.superblackbird.com/spark1.cfm

I'm not sure where the link is but someone has a picture base turorial on this. Warchild maybe? I had the same question a few months ago and I'm glad I followed the instructions. No need to undo hoses or the like if it's a simple air filter swap. You pull the metal sleeves that hold the tank down, pull the tank back, put just the bolts in, prop the fron of the tank up with a block of wood, and swap the filter. Takes no more than 10 minutes.

Someone post up that link if you know where it's at.

This is for 97 and 98. I'm sure it will work for 99 and up, but you'll have to do your own research for what fits.

I have been successful at cutting/dremmeling out the old filter material, cutting a Purolator filter for a car to size, (couldn't find an exact size match have to shorten one end) and hot gluing it into the old filter plate.

It's not just that I'm cheap (I am) but it breathes better, runs stronger, Went up 2 mpg, is available at any auto parts store even on Sunday, and costs $7 instead of $35 for the Honda filter you WILL have to order.

I've got 2 plates to rotate through, I can build the next filter at my leisure while running the other.

Keep your old tires also.....you can melt them down and re-mould them into new tires. :icon_biggrin:

I've never had to disconnect more than one hose to change air filter or plugs. I disconnect the

breather between the tank and the charcoal canister (Calif bike), then I can tilt it back and secure

it with a couple of ropes to the rear bodywork frankenbolts. That gives plenty of room to R/R the

air box and do the work, as the tank is nearly vertical, but the hoses still connected to the tank are

not stressed.

:icon_think: :icon_think: :icon_think: :icon_think: :icon_think: