CBR1100XX.org Forum

How do you break a tire bead?

Mikey

I've got a tire for Tina's EX500. I've got the wheel off the bike, but I can't seem to break the bead. I've tried using the side stand of the XX, but I don't have the strength to force the bike over far enough to break the bead (it keeps pushing the bike back up right...oddly).

Any suggestions? It's the weekend and no shops are open to change this tire, and I really want it changed.

one of the instructional(?) videos shows guy breaking a tire bed by driving over the tire portion with the van; it actually worked pretty well

Picture below shows another solution

breaking-bead.jpg

Hmm, that may be an idea. I'd have to figure out how to protect the rim. But that should crush the tire fairly well. Maybe putting it on cardboard, then rolling over it with my Outback.

Hmm, that may be an idea. I'd have to figure out how to protect the rim. But that should crush the tire fairly well. Maybe putting it on cardboard, then rolling over it with my Outback.

you could try a large vice if you have 1 or see the link.

see this place

Damn, that's a good idea too. I can snag some 2x4's from the construction site of my new home. This is going to be easy! I'll snag them tomorrow morning when I go clean up the construction site.

I use a wood clamp that is modified and works well on front and rear tyres. The handle is replaced with a 1/2 " socket so it can be adjusted with standard tools, e.g. a ratcheting wrench or an electrical wrench. I have welded a curved and rounded 5 mm thick spade to the rotary bracket on the clamp screw, which meets the rim side and pushes the bead down. I have two bikes and use several tyre sets each year, that’s why I bothered to make the tool and it was quicker jus to make it than waiting for something ordered to come. Earlier I braked the beads with a wrecker bar that was sticked into U-bolt on the floor.

I just use 3 of these...

G_14031G_CL_1.jpg

Yes to break the Bead.

I push one in by itself, and pull slightly to make room for the next 2 to fit in next to it...

Then insert the next 2 with the curves sgaisnt each other, and then squeeze.

-Or-

I just use my Bench vise.

Ok kids. Here's the update.

I went out and grabbed the wood and set it up...and CRACK, broke the 2x4. Went back to the site (around the corner) and grabbed a 2x6 which handled it. Really took some effort. Now my problem is that I've got one side off the rim, but the other side is still in the U of the rim. Any tricks on getting that out?

I think I'll grab a C clamp for next time. However if I can't get the rest of the tire off, I'll bring it to the shop on Monday :]

Ok kids. Here's the update.

I went out and grabbed the wood and set it up...and CRACK, broke the 2x4. Went back to the site (around the corner) and grabbed a 2x6 which handled it. Really took some effort. Now my problem is that I've got one side off the rim, but the other side is still in the U of the rim. Any tricks on getting that out?

I think I'll grab a C clamp for next time. However if I can't get the rest of the tire off, I'll bring it to the shop on Monday :]

what you need to do is get part of the bead in the well that will allow you to work on the opposite side from the bead that is in the well, then just lever it off

confused?

just lift one side of the tire then put the lever through and remove that way. and if you are strong enough and have lubed the tire up enough it will come off very easilly.

2cents

try it you'll like it..............

Yep you were right. As soon as I got a little bit of light through I gave it a good yank and it came off. I put a wheel rim on the work bench and bolted my rim to it so I could tug the tire off.

So then I couldn't get the replacment on... Then I notice...wait a sec, there is NO WAY this puppy is fitting. I mistakenly picked up a 16 inch and the bike needs a 17. So I have to wait to see if there are any 130/70 17's around.