CBR1100XX.org Forum

Front Sprocket Cover Removal Mistake?

Fly By

Hey all,

I'm one to usually ride the Bird rather than work on her, but I took a chance and figured out how to get the front cover off to see the front sprocket. :icon_dance: (Small stuff, I know.) So after cleaning it out and putting it back together, I noticed in the manual that the same bolts to get the cover off are the same bolts to open up the clutch hydraulics. The cover with the banjo fittings never detached from the sprocket cover though and I didn't notice any hydraulic leaks. Is there the chance that I may have gotten air in the clutch hydraulics or is it sealed some other way? I have the manual but it wasn't clear.

NOTE: I was able to shift the gears into first, second and back to neutral with the bike off after I was done. The clutch fluid level looks fine.

I just don't want to go for a ride and then the clutch gives out. Could end up to be a bad situation.

Thanks for your help.

Tony

you should be cool, as long as you did not grab the clutch lever while it was off. It will feel different if you got air in it and still work. Makes it closer to the grip when you let out.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Did you clean the goop out around the clutch pushrod?

Didn't think to check while I was in there, but everything was surprisingly clean. I'll definitely check next time.

Thanks again.

Tony

I probably should remark here that you'll be fine if you simply don't remove the short bolt that holds the slave cylinder only to the cover. Its the one directly below the hydraulic fitting, and you'll probably realize that if there was a through-bolt in that position, it would have to go through the sprocket. You would have noted this already when you removed the cover, but it bears noting for those reading this and comtemplating the same procedure on their own.