CBR1100XX.org Forum

plastic repair

Dotetcher

The significant other dropped her bike (GS 500F)yesterday. Broke the fairing where the right directional is mounted so the directional just sorta hangs there. One small piece of plastic broke out and it looks like a simple fix to glue it back in. I'm just wondering whats the best/strongest stuff to use to glue the piece back on. Tnx guys.

Skip

My son uses 2 part epoxy repair that he gets at Auto Zone for about 6 bucks. Works great.

If you choose epoxy over Evil's suggestion, you can use some drywall mesh tape to hold it together from the inside and spread the epoxy through the mesh pores. Good, strong repair.

If you're going to go with the ABS cement... You need to add about 5% MEK to the cement, because the ABS on your Fairing is more chemical resistnt that ABS pipe. Then you'll need to put several layer on it in order to get enough structual stregth in it so that it doesn't re-crack at a later date.

If you use the Epoxy, be for-warned that the epoxy will be of a higher density, meaning that if the Fairing that it's attached to is a flat surface, that may have a minor amount of flexing now and again, it WILL eventually crack and fall off, even with the mesh.

The Fiber-flex stuff I pointed out, will be stronger than the surrounding ABS, forever. Because it's flexible, it make a moleculer bond, and is about the same density... it'll never fail.

How do I know all this.... because I've used every method and product out there one time or another.

If you were going to build panel or fill in a large hole... I'ld tell you to look for a product called Plastix ... it's good stuff too.

Goodluck.