CBR1100XX.org Forum

Crap Honda CCT's

feelergaugephil

I bought my XX with 17K on (2002 model) I'm at 31K now and changed out the CCT 4 times because they rattle, What's the deal with them??

And why is not Honda realizing that this is a problem!

Maybe because you're not letting them know?

I'm on the original, at 35k. Perhaps its not every bike. They have upgraded the original two times, now. Besides...that and the tool kit rubber are the only things that give our bike character...if not for those things it would be a soulless, pathetic appliance, and not really a motorcycle. :icon_rolleyes:

Maybe because you're not letting them know?

I'm on the original, at 35k. Perhaps its not every bike. They have upgraded the original two times, now. Besides...that and the tool kit rubber are the only things that give our bike character...if not for those things it would be a soulless, pathetic appliance, and not really a motorcycle. :icon_rolleyes:

Someone's been listening to the whiny Duc and Triumph owners on ST.N :icon_cool:

I'm on my second (a double green dot) and it started sounding crappy after only 6K miles... :icon_wall:

I've seen a few supposed fixes for them here - are they "fixable" when they rattle, or do you need to do the surgery on a brand new one?? :icon_think:

FWIW, the past few weeks it has quieted down (it's been doing this for about a month)... I know several just ignore it forever - no danger in this?

Mine is rattling around again after 25,000 miles. If that deadbeat in Florida that's trying to retire off the profits he makes off of us ever gets more in I'll get another one :icon_whistle:

I think that deadbeat retired already and left the country !! I just knew his name was an alias !!

UPS tracking says more CCT's will be delivered on Tuesday, the day before Independense Day of course.

I bought my XX with 17K on (2002 model) I'm at 31K now and changed out the CCT 4 times because they rattle, What's the deal with them??

And why is not Honda realizing that this is a problem!

I went through just one "updated" CCT in less than 8000 miles and had enough of that crap.

I bought a manual adjuster from A.P.E. and haven't looked back.

Ten minutes to install. Adjust it once a year (if even that much) and that's it.

I got it here: http://cbrzone.com/sprockets.html

Be sure and get the gasket too. Sometimes you need it and sometimes you don't.

FWIW. Funny thing, the other day I was troubleshooting a buddy's 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 twin. I was looking down in the front of the motor and low and behold there's a CCT that looked an awful lot like the Honda CCT. I wouldn't be suprised if it was from the same vendor.

Hope this helped,

Tony

I've found that even the double green dot CCTs are not perfect. Every once in a while, when

it seems the cam chain is rattling a bit, I'll pull the cap off and give the screw inside a little

reverse twist with a small screw driver then let go and the thing will unwind a half a turn or

more, so I'm pretty sure it's not keeping proper tension on its own.

All this talk about CCT's & the grinding/scraping sound my bike's making from under the fairing & down by the front wheel has me wondering if mine's not going bad as well??? 23,500 miles on her........When do these CCT's usually start goin' bad?

And am I reading Keith's post correctly that you can try adjusting it before replacing it?

And am I reading Keith's post correctly that you can try adjusting it before replacing it?

I don't know if I'd call it "adjusting it", but as I said, I've found that if I pull the cap off

the adjustment/lock screw access and turn it counter-clockwise a little, then release the

turn pressure while keeping the screwdriver in the screw head, the screw will unwind

clockwise farther than I turned it counter-clockwise. To me, that means the spring is

not turning the adjuster on it's own very effectively.

Of course, I could be talking out my ass, too, but that's my thought on it.

I replaced the original CCT on my '03 at 18k miles. The new one has 12k on it now.

Hmmmm... my 97 with 25k on it is still on the original CCT. The only rattling I get is from the clutch basket.

are you sure it is the clutch basket ??

I don't know if I'd call it "adjusting it", but as I said, I've found that if I pull the cap off

the adjustment/lock screw access and turn it counter-clockwise a little, then release the

turn pressure while keeping the screwdriver in the screw head, the screw will unwind

clockwise farther than I turned it counter-clockwise. To me, that means the spring is

not turning the adjuster on it's own very effectively.

Of course, I could be talking out my ass, too, but that's my thought on it.

I replaced the original CCT on my '03 at 18k miles. The new one has 12k on it now.

I replaced my original at 8,000 and currently have 35,000 on my replacement CCT. It seems to be unusual to get more than 12-15 thou. on a CCT in my experience selling them.

Hmmmm... my 97 with 25k on it is still on the original CCT. The only rattling I get is from the clutch basket.

I was informed by the gurus on the list it was... it goes away immediately as I pull in the clutch lever, and only does it while idling in neutral.

I was informed by the gurus on the list it was... it goes away immediately as I pull in the clutch lever, and only does it while idling in neutral.

maybe its the lever......................................??????????????????????

Nosie is down low, by the engine, so.... ummmmm.... no........

Nosie is down low, by the engine, so.... ummmmm.... no........

How 'bout you were sitting on the Wing by mistake !!! :icon_evilgrin:

Not as much on the Wing as it is on the Bird... but the engine on both are the best!

The guys on the Goldwing forum cringe when I mention hitting the rev limiter in first (and then in second), but WTF? The red line is at 6k!

I think mine's just the opposite. I noticed yesterday it seemed to stop as I quit accelerating/started coasting.

Is that the only way to tell the difference between clutch/CCT issues??

I think mine's just the opposite. I noticed yesterday it seemed to stop as I quit accelerating/started coasting.

Is that the only way to tell the difference between clutch/CCT issues??

The clutch is not an "issue", it's just noisey when the lever is out and the bike is running in neutral. The difference- the clutch is a deeper knock, and you won't hear it under normal operating conditions- as in the clutch is engaged and the bike is moving. It's usually worse when the bike is cold and most commonly observed on a just started bike warming up at idle.

The CCT is more of a rattle, usually worst between 3-5k and will always be present- reving it up in your driveway or rolling down the road. The sound isn't what I'd call

"grinding" and shouldn't be anywhere near your front tire, if it is, check your wheel bearings.

The clutch is not an "issue", it's just noisey when the lever is out and the bike is running in neutral. The difference- the clutch is a deeper knock, and you won't hear it under normal operating conditions- as in the clutch is engaged and the bike is moving. It's usually worse when the bike is cold and most commonly observed on a just started bike warming up at idle.

This describes my noise to a "T".... Just something else to deal with, along with the big CLUNK! when shifting from 1st to 2nd (once again, same issue on the Wing.)