CBR1100XX.org Forum

Stored Three Years, Won't Start

Supermarine

Gentlemen,

I have a 2000. A new friend here in Southwest CT has a 2001. Due to an adversarial divorce, it was stored in an unheated garage with about a pint of gas in the tank (no gas stabilizer) since Fall 2004 (nearly 3 years). He saw me ride mine to work last week and asked me for advice before he attempted to start it. I told him to change oil/filter, clean out the tank completely, buy and install a new battery, add fresh fuel, and attempt to start. He reports that it cranks very well but does not fire at all.

I was thinking that he MIGHT have simply added gas to the tank and tried to start it with his old battery BEFORE he asked for help, but he's a fellow engineer so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt that he didn't.

I've searched the forum and read some things about the fuel filter. Is it possible that nearly 3 year old gas has plugged it? If yes, is there a well defined procedure on the forum to replace the fuel filter and/or fuel line? I've also read some things about possible electrical ground or other electrical connection problems. Is there a list of these connections and/or a procedure on the forum for checking/cleaning them? It would be most appreciated if any of you who has been down this road would provide your insights to his "crank but not firing" problem.

I'm sure he will remember you all favorably in his Will.

Thanks,

Supe

I would remove the tank and clean it out myself, check air filter for critters, along with the exhaust system. Mice love them places. While even down there I would yank out the spark plugs and add a small amount of oil down into the cylinders. Pull the injectors and look at the ends. Replace plugs also..

Replace all fluids, brake, clutch, oil, radiator, hell even the forks after he gets it running.

New Battery, a good once over all hoses and conections (both radiator, oil, and electrical)

Go to the important useful thread section for how to's

Good luck..

Being as how it was stored, there's little that should be wrong with it.

It needs fuel, air, and spark.

Spark won't degrade in short periods of time.

Air can be stopped by nests and goodies in the airbox.

Fuel can gum up and stop the flow through small holes.

My initial guess is that the injectors are clogged.

You say it cranks over well. If it was MY bike, I'd shoot some ether into the ram air ducts, then crank it. If it stumbles, then you know its probably not getting fuel. Based on that, you can pull the tank, airbox, and the injectors, and send them off to be cleaned. (that can be done, and its hella cheaper than buying new ones. Of course, you've already listened to make sure the fuel pump is running when you turn the key on, so you know its not that.

You can change the fuel filter by pulling the pump out of the bottom of the tank...its not hard. I wouldn't bother, though....the filter is meant for large contaminants and probably has no part in this. If you had concerns, you'd pull the supply line off the fuel rail, stick it in a jar, and turn the key on to check your flow volume.

Once you get it running, then you can fart around changing oil and fluids. Don't compound the issue.

Too much work.

I'm going to tell him to drop a cherry bomb down the tank, and the pressure wave from the blast should thoroughly clear out the fuel system.

But seriously.........

I hadn't thought to mention critters to him. I'll be there tonight and we'll check that first. And a shot of ether should asure if there's spark or not.

But I'm still curious about the "grounds" situation. If there doesn't appear to be spark, is there a list and/or location of all grounds/connections that are generally known to be troublesome?

Thanks very much for your advice. My friend thought for sure he would lose his bike at the conclusion of the "recent unpleasantness"........

Supe

If there doesn't appear to be spark, there are no "known issue"s that would apply.

If it cranks over well, has been stored inside, and there's no spark, you're on your own, meaning you start from square one with the repair manual in your hand.

My money is still on fuel or critters. If you crank it and smell gas, its critters....if you don't, its a fuel issue. Generally, you'll see critter signs without tearing it apart.....local seeds, stuffing ripped out of the seat, that sort of thing.

Checking the spark...work backwards. Start with the plug grounded and look for a spark, use another spark plug to first check the system before you pull his plugs out....any standard plug will work for diagnostics.

But its fuel. And if he only put a gallon of fuel in it, that may not have been enough to dilute the aged, semi-flammable gasoline in it. Bear in mind that the worst case (fuel related) is that the entire system is gummed up because of the age of the fuel. Its not probable, but it is possible...in which case you're in for a massive cleaning.

In that case, I'd recommend he just sell it.

To me.

For $1100.

:)

In that case, I'd recommend he just sell it.

To me.

For $1100.

:)

I'll trade him my RUNNING 97 XX straight up for it.

Uh Oh.

Looks like we have a bidding war brewing.

Believe me, if he's interested in selling it, this forum will be the first to know. But right now, I think he's extremely happy to have gotten possession of it and is chomping on the bit to get it on the road.

I'm still fairly certain that I read something on the web a year or two ago about "known" electrical ground/connectoer "issues". Now I have to prove myself right or wrong...........

Supe

There's an issue with the wiring loom in certain instances.

I highly doubt this is one of them.

The issue involves the blind connection in the wiring harness on the left side of the bike below the seat where there is a bulge in the main harness. Search will find the pictures and text. Its most common in wet environments...not as an adjunct to storage.

Your "bulge" comment jogged my memory. That was what I remembered. Thanks. And I agree that it's probably not the problem.

We verified spark last night, and no critters. But we did NOT get the smell of fuel as we cranked. Looks like fuel isn't making it from the tank.

So here we go........... too bad we can't send the "Fantastic Voyage" people and the Proteus through the fuel system with Gumout Guns instead of a laser.......

Supe