CBR1100XX.org Forum

Low Fuel Light lighting not related to fuel level

Rowdrunner

Let's see if I can describe this accurately and see if anyone else has had this issue.

First off 2000 fuel injected with 23,000 miles the battery was new this spring.

Riding home from work towards the end of a 25 mile commute on a 85 degree day came to a stop light and noticed that when I applied the brakes enough to activate the brake light my low fuel light flickered on then off. Got home and tried different scenerios. With high beam on, the electric fan running, brake light on and turn signal on the low fuel light would flash in time with the blinkers. I let the bike cool down and could not replicate the situation. Went for a ride today much cooler but went for a 100 mile ride at the end of it could again get the light to come on with high beam, brakes, and turn signals but it wouldn't flash steady if would light up then go out. Very confused wondering if this gremlin has turned up on anyone elses bikes. Oh the tank was 1/2 full when this started and today the tank was full so it is not like I am on the verge of the light coming on. Thanks for any and all input.

Check your battery voltage and state of charge. If they are normal remove and clean the ground cable connection.

I should be at 12 volts with the bike not running and 14 volts with the bike running?

14 volts @ 3,000+ RPM. That's about when the charging system starts doing it's thing.

My '99 does it too, it seems to be a precursor to the low fuel light coming on because the fuel is low, like it's supposed to. I've done the '99 wiring harness fix as well and it's the same. My battery is new and I'm OK on the voltage with the R/R. Don't know what to say about it, turn signals and brakes for me, no high beam/fuel light issues.

Well I greatly appreciate the input and went out to test the battery with my meter. The battery read 12.8 without the bike running. Then I noticed that the ground bolt on the battery was completely loose!!!! Arrrgh. I tightened it up road to work today and tried to get the light to blink it did not. Will try again tonight once I ride home. Feeling a bit stupid but greatly appreciate input from airborneXX and rockmeupto125 as starting at the basics hopefully cured the issue.

Rowdrunner