CBR1100XX.org Forum

Use an 01 Stator/Reg Rect setup on a 97?

Hobicus

I'm in the process of "prepping" Dave's XX for the insurance company, and was wondering whether the reg/rect and stator from his 01 could be migrated over to my 97. I'd like the higher output stator, and the more reliable Reg Rect that comes with the newer model.

I haven't had a chance to look at the wiring myself, and probably won't until tomorrow night.

Certainly worth a try. The wiring is more or less dead simple, even if the connectors don't match it wouldn't be hard to fabricate a sub-harness. Three wires from stator to reg, one wire to battery and one to ground, maybe a fuse in there, I don't have the schematic loaded on this computer.

Other issue might involve the magnet (flywheel). If they are not the same then there is the question of crank end diameter and taper and will it fit under your present stator cover or does the newer one need to migrate over. The latter could be no big deal, the former a deal breaker.

I put an 03 RR on my 97.

Hardwired it and mounted it in the same location as original (had Ohlins on bike, reservoir was already on the right).

I had to take a sander to the fins to get it to clear the bodywork, but other than that, fit fine.

Worked great, too. Had voltmeter, power was much more stable with the new vs. the old, but the old one was done.

If you get in there with a dental pick, its pretty easy to get the leads out of the connectors and swap them.

That's kind of what I was thinking of doing.

So much wrenching to do this weekend.. so little time!

i put a stator from a 99 on mine but a 99 RR wouldnt work...Everything was new and the RR actually is working fine in furbirds bike...if the 01 has the wiring tail coming out of it it wont work on a 97

Without rewiring, it will not work.

It won't plug in, that's for sure.

However, it would work if it's rewired.

J.

i put a stator from a 99 on mine but a 99 RR wouldnt work...Everything was new and the RR actually is working fine in furbirds bike...if the 01 has the wiring tail coming out of it it wont work on a 97

J.

i did rewire it...stator worked fine and still does. The RR was a different story..it would not regulate..it put out a steady 18v...i posted about it having an extra black wire IIRC but no one really knew what it was for...ultimately I just went back to a yammie RR

J.

i did rewire it...stator worked fine and still does. The RR was a different story..it would not regulate..it put out a steady 18v...i posted about it having an extra black wire IIRC but no one really knew what it was for...ultimately I just went back to a yammie RR

black wire is voltage sense circuit.

sink to (iirc) ground.

or +12vdc. Can't remember, don't have harness diagram here. LOL.

Cheers,

J.

Ok, now for a little help with how to wire the whole damn thing up:

All the yellow stator wires we'll assume are obvious.

On the 01 RR there are 2 Red/White wires, 2 green wires, and one black wire.

The 2 red wires appear to be connected together, as do the 2 green ones. According to my meter, there's continuity between the two

The black wire connects to a black/white wire from the harness, but appears to have continuity to ground from that black wire

On the 97 RR there is 1 Red/White wire, 1 green wire, the 3 yellow wires. My guess is that the ground wire is actually the frame.

So.. for wiring in the 01 RR, I need to:

1) Split the one red/white wire into 2 wires.

2) Split the one green wire into 2 wires

3) Direct wire the black wire to ground.

Does this sound right?

Ok, now for a little help with how to wire the whole damn thing up:

All the yellow stator wires we'll assume are obvious.

On the 01 RR there are 2 Red/White wires, 2 green wires, and one black wire.

The 2 red wires appear to be connected together, as do the 2 green ones. According to my meter, there's continuity between the two

The black wire connects to a black/white wire from the harness, but appears to have continuity to ground from that black wire

On the 97 RR there is 1 Red/White wire, 1 green wire, the 3 yellow wires. My guess is that the ground wire is actually the frame.

So.. for wiring in the 01 RR, I need to:

1) Split the one red/white wire into 2 wires.

2) Split the one green wire into 2 wires

3) Direct wire the black wire to ground.

Does this sound right?

yep.

verify the black wire in the not automatic.

It may be +12vdc, or it may be ground. I believe the not automatic shows it in the diagram.

Obviously verify RR function with a voltmeter, just in case.