CBR1100XX.org Forum

Maladjusted Chain Adjuster

The Beakman

Is there a helicoil insert that will take the adjustment screw threads for the chain adjustment screw. I've got the screw on order but I'm not going to remove/replace it (siezed and rounded over in the swingarm) before I have all repair options laid out.

Thanks again.

If you're saying that the bolt is in place, but stripped, then just use a dremel to square it off and use some vice grips to turn it until you get the replacement bolt in. I don't know if a helicoil will work in that particular application. I don't think the bolts are supposed to be adjustable when using a helicoil.

If I understand right your chain adjuster bolt's threads are stripped?

If so I'd just use vice grips and pull while turning it should come back out...

No, the bolt's threads are probably fine but it is seized in the swingarm. If I back it out chances are the aluminum threads in the swingarm will strip out and I'll be left holding my dick with an extremely stupid look on my face. Usually this is normal but if and when the threads strip, at least I'll have an excuse.

Guest cudgel

Careful use of heat on the aluminum swingarm, not the bolt, should get results if you haven't already turned the bolt and stripped the swingarm. Use a torch, either oxy-acetylene or propane. Aluminum will not change color like steel and iron until it is too late, so go easy. You can heat it a little and then spray it with Blaster or similar agents, waiting a few minutes before trying to work it loose in both directions. If no go, use a little more heat and try again.

I had the same situation. I ended up very cautiously drilling the bolt through until I ended up with just a thin shell, and was able to then collapse it and remove it with minimal damage to the threads in the swingarm. I ran a die through and got minimal flash, so I figured the threads were largely intact. I'd certainly suggest some penetrant and a bit of heat, although that did not help me. Worst case, I should think that a helicoil would work well, and probably have less propensity to seize up again. I now make sure there's anti-seize on those bolts.

I had the same situation. I ended up very cautiously drilling the bolt through until I ended up with just a thin shell, and was able to then collapse it and remove it with minimal damage to the threads in the swingarm. I ran a die through and got minimal flash, so I figured the threads were largely intact. I'd certainly suggest some penetrant and a bit of heat, although that did not help me. Worst case, I should think that a helicoil would work well, and probably have less propensity to seize up again. I now make sure there's anti-seize on those bolts.

+1

Worked on a boat with some of the same issues. Drill out the bolt, and carefully chase the threads. I have used helicoils in repairs and they function fine. Since the swingarm has good access, you can do what I do in special situations. Go to the hardware store and buy the correct bolt, then file it so that it has a place to 'bite' the heli coil. use the new bolt to drive the helicoil in and then use a dremel or the like to cut it off on both ends. The coil is just steel threads. With the locking compound on the new coil, it should stick fine. Then use anti-seize on the original bolt with no issues. BTW, make sure the new threads you make match your old screw, or you are...screwed.

I would tend so stay away from heat unless you absolutely know what you are doing. Aluminum has a work hardness that changes when you apply heat. It takes time for that hardness to return, would hate to see the swingarm snap in two while in a sharp turn wearing down my chicken strips. I believe the proper term is called annealing.

My $.02.

I had the same situation.....................I now make sure there's anti-seize on those bolts.

I didn't know this could be an issue.......Learned something new, Thanks!! :icon_thumbsup:

+1

Worked on a boat with some of the same issues. Drill out the bolt, and carefully chase the threads. I have used helicoils in repairs and they function fine. Since the swingarm has good access, you can do what I do in special situations. Go to the hardware store and buy the correct bolt, then file it so that it has a place to 'bite' the heli coil. use the new bolt to drive the helicoil in and then use a dremel or the like to cut it off on both ends. The coil is just steel threads. With the locking compound on the new coil, it should stick fine. Then use anti-seize on the original bolt with no issues. BTW, make sure the new threads you make match your old screw, or you are...screwed.

I would tend so stay away from heat unless you absolutely know what you are doing. Aluminum has a work hardness that changes when you apply heat. It takes time for that hardness to return, would hate to see the swingarm snap in two while in a sharp turn wearing down my chicken strips. I believe the proper term is called annealing.

My $.02.

This is all true...

and yes you could slightly anneal the end of the swingarm... if you move the torch.

I would use a paint stripper heat gun, then after she's hot, put an ice cube on the bolt, then try and wiggle her in and out.