CBR1100XX.org Forum

Pilot Road 2

JohnS

I just fitted a Power to the front and a dual compound Pilot Road 2 to the rear. I have not ridden far enough to comment on the combo yet but wondered as I have not seen mention of the Road 2 on this site.

Are they being sold in your area yet? They are in plentiful supply in Aus.

JohnS

I just fitted a Power to the front and a dual compound Pilot Road 2 to the rear. I have not ridden far enough to comment on the combo yet but wondered as I have not seen mention of the Road 2 on this site.

Are they being sold in your area yet? They are in plentiful supply in Aus.

JohnS

:icon_rolleyes: Again we get screwed in the states...

I believe they are to be available in the US in or about September. Looking forward to reports from those of you who are lucky enough already to be riding on them in other parts of the world. Thinking they *may be* pretty close to exactly what I have been hoping for -- possibly with a Power up front, like you are running.

I hated the original Roads on the XX...but I might give the new ones a shot when they come out. I'd love to get more mileage from a tire, but I am not willing to give up performance for it.

• 1 month later...

Emailed Michelin about the Pilot Road 2. Here's the reply FWIW...

Tim,

Thanks for your note to Michelin. The Pilot Road 2 is a wonderful tire and has really been received well in the European market. This Product was developed for the European market and released there first. We are considering bringing this product into North America but have not yet made any decisions. Please keep an eye out to the media and talk with you local dealers. If we do release this tire within North America, we will issue a press release.

Take care and have fun riding,

Brad Faucette

Motorcycle Marketing Manager

Michelin North America, Inc.

Office: 864-458-5801

This is the first I've heard of the Road2. I was thinking about going back with a set of Roads after my Avons are completely shot so this is interesting. Then again I've been wanting to give the Metzelers a try too.

There are a few guys here in Aus that are running the Road 2's and all seem to like them, apparently they are as sticky on the sides as a PP and like the old PR in the centre and the turn in and direction change is more like the old PP's than the old PR's :icon_surprised: No idea on the wear distance yet though :icon_think: I will give them a try when the current Shinko 005's wear out :icon_think:

There are a few guys here in Aus that are running the Road 2's and all seem to like them, apparently they are as sticky on the sides as a PP and like the old PR in the centre and the turn in and direction change is more like the old PP's than the old PR's :icon_surprised: No idea on the wear distance yet though :icon_think: I will give them a try when the current Shinko 005's wear out :icon_think:

Be still my heart!!! IF that's true, Para, that's pretty much my dream tire for both the FJR adn the XX. I just pray that Michelin makes them available for us over here.

Be still my heart!!! IF that's true, Para, that's pretty much my dream tire for both the FJR and the XX. I just pray that Michelin makes them available for us over here.

Yeah they sound like the "ducks guts" to me as well, when I fitted the Shinko's a couple of months ago they had only just come out in Aus and no one here in West Aus was getting them for a week or so and money was tight so after some good reports I went for the Shinko' 005's at $100 a set cheaper than the previous PPf+PRr to give them a try. The 005's are OK I guess but not as good as the PP/PR combo and no one had any experience with wear on the PR2's :icon_surprised: and as I got 15000km from the front PP and 10000km from the rear PR in ~6 months I figured if the Shinko's weren't that good it wouldn't be long before I needed to replace them :icon_whistle::icon_surprised:

The MPR2 is my best sold tire. I must have sold about 400 of them the last few months, and everybody loves them.

The main competitor in sales is the Bridgestone BT021 (replacing the old BT020), but is not reviewed greatly in Europe. The big comparison test done here 2 months ago by Europes biggest motorcyclemagazine "das Motorrad" had the following result:

1. Michelin Pilot Road 2

2. Metzeler Roadtec Z-6

3. Pirelli Diablo Strada

4. Bridgestone BT021

5. Continental Road Attack

6. Dunlop D220ST

7. Avon Storm-ST

The MPR2 is my best sold tire. I must have sold about 400 of them the last few months, and everybody loves them.

The main competitor in sales is the Bridgestone BT021 (replacing the old BT020), but is not reviewed greatly in Europe. The big comparison test done here 2 months ago by Europes biggest motorcyclemagazine "das Motorrad" had the following result:

1. Michelin Pilot Road 2

2. Metzeler Roadtec Z-6

3. Pirelli Diablo Strada

4. Bridgestone BT021

6. Dunlop D220ST

7. Avon Storm-ST

Well,since it is German magazine,2nd place by Metzeler is just :icon_rolleyes::icon_rolleyes: ,things are very biased there,Avon last,,,,,,, :icon_rolleyes::icon_rolleyes:

FYI here in States,Germans and British,they hate each other,,,,,,,,,,soccer I guess :icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin:

Also if I`m not mistaken they used Gixxer 1000 as a test bike,,,,,,,,,,,litre bike and sport touring tires,,,, :icon_rolleyes::icon_rolleyes::icon_rolleyes: .

Simply, it is a wrong bike to test ST tire,,,,,,,,,,

That is all.

1. Michelin Pilot Road 2

2. Metzeler Roadtec Z-6

3. Pirelli Diablo Strada

4. Bridgestone BT021

6. Dunlop D220ST

7. Avon Storm-ST

Well,since it is German magazine,2nd place by Metzeler is just :icon_rolleyes::icon_rolleyes: ,things are very biased there,Avon last,,,,,,, :icon_rolleyes::icon_rolleyes:

FYI here in States,Germans and British,they hate each other,,,,,,,,,,soccer I guess :icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin:

Also if I`m not mistaken they used Gixxer 1000 as a test bike,,,,,,,,,,,litre bike and sport touring tires,,,, :icon_rolleyes::icon_rolleyes::icon_rolleyes: .

Simply, it is a wrong bike to test ST tire,,,,,,,,,,

That is all.

They used VFR800 VTEC's for the test, and many riders (also 2 from England). The last place for the Avon's was considered correct by all riders (also the English ones). Metzeler is a German factory by name, but is produced in Spain (just like most Pirelli's and Michelin's).

Historically Germans like English products better than French, so the good score for Michelin was not biased.

I sell a lot of tires here in Holland, the last year I've becoma a major dealer through internet and through my shop. I sell very little Avons because pople here don't like them. When I did a testdrive I also found these very unpredictable and "fuzzy" (if that is the correct word for it). No feedback at all....

Somebody once told me it was because the tarmac here in Europe is totally different from the USA, but you are the only region in the world that likes Avons...... (as far as I know, that is).