CBR1100XX.org Forum

How worn is my rear tire?

BarryG

I have new Strada to replace the old one...haven't had a chance to put it on yet. Around 5400 miles on this one.

Only doing commuting on the bike.....mostly hwy/straight line stuff-35 mi round trip.

It's obviously got a flat spot but can I squeeze any more miles out of it? Is it unsafe to ride it like this at 95mph?

I plan on getting the new rubber get put on soon but is it urgent?

Thanks for any replies.

post-859-1179712520.jpg

post-859-1179712532.jpg

post-859-1179712542.jpg

Take a wet rag (with water, no Armorall) and wash the whole tire tread down. While it's wet, shine a light on it and see if you can see wood grain or knot holes along the center line. If you do, you are looking at the layer of rubber used to bond the cords showing through the tread compound rubber. The cord rubber doesn't wear very well and will expose the cords quickly.

I think I can see some graining in one of your pics.

You can put Amor All on your tyre if you want but I certainly wont put it on mine or advise anyone to try it on theirs.

JohnS

He said "no armorall" BTW...

Also, on the chicken strips... Even after my trip to East TN, and RedneXXt, I still had a good, solid, 1/4" of chicken strip left with the Stradas, and that was after dragging pegs on both sides. Keep in mind that I've got the suspensiond one with the correct spring rate in front, and a bit of a heavy spring in the rear, and I'm shimmed 6mm in the rear... I'd get to the edges of the Powers and Roads all the time, but these really do wrap quite aways around...

Mike

It has another thousand miles in it.

easy.

I reckon a couple of thou :icon_wink::icon_surprised: I replaced my first PR rear when it looked like this and that was at least 2000km after I hit the wear bars :icon_surprised:

EDIT: BTW when I bought the XX that tyre was ~ 1/2 gone in the guts but almost new on the sides - I evened the sucker up some :icon_evilgrin::icon_wink:

post-2722-1179754733.jpg

post-2722-1179754758.jpg

post-2722-1179754787.jpg

post-2722-1179754814.jpg

The tire doesn't look bad, but I would keep a close watch on it.

With that wide flat spot, cords seem to pop up quick. SW Georgia is flat, and most of my tires get worn like that.

Smart move having the replacement on hand. Going to order mine tonight.

Take a wet rag (with water, no Armorall) and wash the whole tire tread down. While it's wet, shine a light on it and see if you can see wood grain or knot holes along the center line. If you do, you are looking at the layer of rubber used to bond the cords showing through the tread compound rubber. The cord rubber doesn't wear very well and will expose the cords quickly.

I think I can see some graining in one of your pics.

This is a great bit of knowledge! Barry- a word of advice from someone who's been there. Stradas go QUICK. Those aren't actually wear bars you are seeing there according to Pirelli, it's some sort of manufacturing mark I don't pretend to understand. I had an interesting exchange of emails with Pirelli when mine went. Mind you, mine had +11000 miles on them, but they went from looking "OK", much like the one you have there to what you see in the pic in less than 400 miles. :icon_eek:

homebound009.jpg

Mind you, mine had +11000 miles on them, but they went from looking "OK", much like the one you have there to what you see in the pic in less than 400 miles. :icon_eek:

homebound009.jpg

Your tire looks fine. I bet you got another 4K out of it. :) The only thing worse than the cords showing is touching them when they're hot. Ouch! Yeah I'm probably gonna get the new put on this week actually. I admit lately I haven't been riding her much at all. Been cruising on the Nomad on the weekends and my 20 minute ride to work........well I often just say "fuck gearing up" and have been caging it.