CBR1100XX.org Forum

Sick Bird

flyinglow

Bought a very neglected 2000 bird this year. First thing I did was to change plugs and change oil,filters. The air filter was completely clogged, I do not know how it even ran! Since then I have put in a R/R ,battery and a new CCT. I noticed it was low in power and had poor throttle response.

So today I filled her up with high test and allowed her to spread it's wings. At first she struggled to get 7500 RPM, the when it did it cut out. I kept trying to get above 8000 RPM until it would hold. It has cleared up and does not cut out but will only go 105 MPH at 8000 rpm in 6th gear. I am thinking it needs a valve adjustment. Any advice would help thanks.

Try some Seafoam fuel system cleaner.

How many miles on the bike? History?

Does it idle ok?

It has 33667 miles, some times it will stall at an idle. I have had to turn up the idle a few times.

If it is a 2000 Bird it should be fuel injected and my have clogged injectors or could be a bad throtle sensor. Not sure :icon_confused:

If it is a 2000 Bird it should be fuel injected and my have clogged injectors or could be a bad throtle sensor. Not sure :icon_confused:

DOH! Should read the posts a bit more carefully :icon_doh: :icon_doh: :icon_wall: Still think it is a fuel issue though :icon_think:

DOH! Should read the posts a bit more carefully :icon_doh: :icon_doh: :icon_wall: Still think it is a fuel issue though :icon_think:

Yep. Sound like a fuel issue to me almost for sure.

Guest cudgel

You said it only goes 105mph in 6th gear at 8000rpm? I agree with other comments about fuel issue and think a little time at normal cruising speed with some clean gas and injector cleaner may help before you go tearing into it. RPM is also too high for only 105mph, how about 150? My 2cts.

Here is a list I would start at:

1) change plug's if not already changed

2)put seafoam or other FI cleaning agent's in tank

3)replace fuel filter

4) see mechanic if that dosent work !!!!!!!!!!!

If it is a throttle sensor I would get a fault code, right?

Sure you put all the plug wires on tight?

Was it low on power when you bought it?

When I put plugs on I checked to make sure that the boot was all the way on. It never did have good throttle response or power.

Here is a list I would start at:

1) change plug's if not already changed

2)put seafoam or other FI cleaning agent's in tank

3)replace fuel filter

4) see mechanic if that dosent work !!!!!!!!!!!

Were is the fuel filter?

1st things 1st !!

As has been said, get a can of Seafoam or similar additive and run it through at least half of tank of gas and you might be amazed at the results. I have a hard time finding SeaFoam myself and have used another brand, forget the name, but with Techron in it and it works great also.

I now run the stuff through every spring.

Is this thing running on all cylinders? The easy way to check is too feel the header pipes when the bike first starts up. Make sure all four heat up the same, but be quick about it, they get hot fast - when everything is normal.

The easy way to check is too feel the header pipes when the bike first starts up.

Another way is to get a spray bottle and spritz the header with water. It'll be real obvious if one cylinder isn't firing.

You're here for help, which is a good thing, because we like to help.

But from your description of things wrong and things you've done, it seems there's a lot missing from this picture. Flat out on the highway is neither a repair nor a diagnostic procedure, and while the XX is a strong bike, if there's something wrong, it rarely fixes it by itself. Your mention of the valve adjustment is the clincher to some degree.

If you're experienced mechanically, then start with the basics and work forward from there, as is appropriate.

If you're not experienced mechanically, then take the time to learn if that's your desire, or get the bike someplace where they will address the issue rather than taking potshots at the problem.

No flame intended. We'd like to help you, and it seems as though you've done some things with it, but either your approach or your relation of the story is a bit haphazard.

You're here for help, which is a good thing, because we like to help.

But from your description of things wrong and things you've done, it seems there's a lot missing from this picture. Flat out on the highway is neither a repair nor a diagnostic procedure, and while the XX is a strong bike, if there's something wrong, it rarely fixes it by itself. Your mention of the valve adjustment is the clincher to some degree.

If you're experienced mechanically, then start with the basics and work forward from there, as is appropriate.

If you're not experienced mechanically, then take the time to learn if that's your desire, or get the bike someplace where they will address the issue rather than taking potshots at the problem.

No flame intended. We'd like to help you, and it seems as though you've done some things with it, but either your approach or your relation of the story is a bit haphazard.

+1

That having been said, here's where I'd start:

1) Remove the lower plastics, start the bike, let it idle for a minute or two. Spray the exhaust pipe by the exhaust ports with some water from a spray bottle. You'll know if you have a cylinder not firing by whether the water evaporates. If you have a cylinder not firing, you'll know which one.

2) You changed the plugs, but make sure you used the right ones. If you bought the iridium ones, they should have come pre-gapped. IF you touched the tips (under the electrode), they're probably toast and you should replace them anyways.

3) See the above tips about Sea Foam. Run it through the fuel system and see if that helps. IF you have a totally clogged injector, it won't fix anything, but if you have a partially clogged one, it will clean it out.

4) IF you have one cylinder that isn't firing, first check to see if you have a spark (use a spare spark plug, pull the wire, put the wire on the plug, put the plug next to the frame, turn the bike over and see if you get a spark. If you have no spark, you have a coil problem. My guess is that you have a fuel problem, though, because you'd have 2 cylinders that don't want to fire.

5) If it's not getting fuel, it's either fuel pressure or clogged injectors. At this point, you're probably better off taking it to someone. Injectors are pretty easy to pull and replace, but it takes a bit to get to them.

Agree with cylinder heating test.

If good, go for the SeaFoam. Good stuff. If one cylinder is cold, find the problem before riding it much.

You don't want to ride it with a dead cylinder, it will cause other problems.

If you are low in fuel, try a quick ride with the tank cap loose. A poor or pinched fuel vent can cause some real problems.

Hey John,

AutoZone in my area has SeaFoam. They even run sales on the stuff from time to time.

Is this thing running on all cylinders? The easy way to check is too feel the header pipes when the bike first starts up. Make sure all four heat up the same, but be quick about it, they get hot fast - when everything is normal.

I found that the two outside cylinder pipes got hotter than those on the inside.

I found that the two outside cylinder pipes got hotter than those on the inside.

Could you have swapped the plug wires for those two cylinders?

Well gentlemen , and I mean that loosely, The problem was found. When I checked my plug wires I found that a wire was off of the coil for the two center cylinders. She sounds healthy now. Thanks for all of the direction in diagnoses. Hope to see some of you on the road some day.

Well gentlemen , and I mean that loosely, The problem was found. When I checked my plug wires I found that a wire was off of the coil for the two center cylinders. She sounds healthy now. Thanks for all of the direction in diagnoses. Hope to see some of you on the road some day.

We'll be flying through your area the Thursday after Labor Day.

:icon_clap: :icon_clap: :icon_clap:

:icon_biggrin: