CBR1100XX.org Forum

First oil change on the Goldwing ?

DaveK

I agree with Chris, and will also say that the GN4, last I checked, was a semi-synthetic... I don't think Honda sells a FULL synthetic...

Mike

You may be right...Gold container, red cap without molly.

Agree with the above Dave.

And I will add that with the Wing, the difference in the cluch feel between cheap oil and good oil is HUGE. Much more of a difference that any other bike I have ever owned.

I know you're not a cheap SoB, but the Wing needs quality oil.

Agree with the above Dave.

And I will add that with the Wing, the difference in the cluch feel between cheap oil and good oil is HUGE. Much more of a difference that any other bike I have ever owned.

I know you're not a cheap SoB, but the Wing needs quality oil.

So you are recommending regular honda oil for this 1st change and Honda Synth then on ?

No molly, right ?

Hey this is a XX board. Take that Goldwing shit up outta here! Sorry...got carried away there...

Yeah Dave, I'd run the regular dino through at least the break in oil changes (500/600/1000/2000) and on that 3000 mile change, if you haven't sold it for something else by then, go with the semi-synth or full synth if you want. Dunno how true it is, but I've read (don't believe everything you read on the internet) that the synth is TOO good at wear prevention and doesn't allow the minor wear necessary for everything to mate up properly in a reasonably quick time frame, and that it will take substantially longer for the engine to break in properly if you go to synth too soon. Now, I'm not an oil pro, that's just what I read.

I appreciate it....I know it's all opinion OR "this is what I do" sorta thing.

I think I will go with dino for #1 and #2 then before the winter put semi-synth.

Unless I sell it first.

full synth all the way........ no need for dino oil unless u just wanna use it

remember..... corvettes get mobil 1 straight from the factory......

ive used full synth...... mobil 1 in bikes since day 1..... the only way to fly :icon_cool:

ive used full synth...... mobil 1 in bikes since day 1..... the only way to fly :icon_cool:

If I remember correctly I started using Castrol syntec 10W-40 full synthetic on my '04 Wing at 3500 miles.....2nd oil change and that's all I used up to 34K mi when I sold it ....every 3K miles. Never had a problem with the bike ran perfect. You haven't sold the Wing YET??

If I remember correctly I started using Castrol syntec 10W-40 full synthetic on my '04 Wing at 3500 miles.....2nd oil change and that's all I used up to 34K mi when I sold it ....every 3K miles. Never had a problem with the bike ran perfect. You haven't sold the Wing YET??

It's on Craigs List !

It's on Craigs List !

I'm suprised you put enough miles on it to need an oil change :icon_twisted:

Seriously, full synthetic goes in everything I get, from day one. Machining being what it is today, the break in period is measured in hours, not miles. You're selling it anyway, don't bother changing the oil! :icon_smile:

I'll give you $8k for it.

I never should have sold the Wing. Now I'm going out with someone who wants to ride. Two-up on a 954 is not the way to go! But it really does wheelie nice!

And DON'T pay attention to the Wing boards. There are a lot of stupid old curmudgeons who don't know shit on them. There is a far more knowledgeable group here, bar none. Something Wing specific like "which wire to do this" and "where do I mount this"? Sure. Other than that, no way. They are largely retired folks who remember the way it was 'back in the day'.

I'd do the Honda or Mobile 1 all the way. No need to stay with the dino-oils.

I'll give you $8k for it.

I never should have sold the Wing. Now I'm going out with someone who wants to ride. Two-up on a 954 is not the way to go! But it really does wheelie nice!

And DON'T pay attention to the Wing boards. There are a lot of stupid old curmudgeons who don't know shit on them. There is a far more knowledgeable group here, bar none. Something Wing specific like "which wire to do this" and "where do I mount this"? Sure. Other than that, no way. They are largely retired folks who remember the way it was 'back in the day'.

I'd do the Honda or Mobile 1 all the way. No need to stay with the dino-oils.

Which is what the oldtimers told him on the GL board.

:icon_whistle:

Which is what the oldtimers told him on the GL board.

:icon_whistle:

Just resign your 'membership' here, go take some Gerital, and hang out with your 'new' geriatric friends.

No wonder your name in Ben dOver, you're probably so old you can't get it up any more. You need to be the girl!

OK, I miss the Wing.

NBL! :icon_iloveyou:

Have you joined the GWRRA yet?

Oh, and I still stand by my comment. Much more wisdom here, in all areas, than in any other forum I have ever been to.