I have a 00 bird, really like the machine, mostly stock except 2bro

carbon cans. Aug 6 after installing new suspension bits (ohlins shock

gold valves springs) I took it for test ride on favorite local back

road... next thing I remember is being picked up at e room. Anyhow

smacked deer, bike went down on right side and slid 95 feet up a 6%

grade. Lucked out, no frame damage and only engine damage was broken

pulsar cover. Ever since then I have a cold engine rattle which is in

the clutch circuit somewhere as I can pull in the clutch lever and it

goes away and it diminishs to nothing after warm up. Any ideas?

Thanks Steve.

thanks for the response, when bike went down never put a scratch on left side. Rattle is pretty loud for few seconds, then gradually diminishs. Changed clutch fluid, works fine bike rides fine so I guess i will ride it like i stole it. Steve

I have a similar problem with my 2001.....in neutral and idling cold, the clutch bangs around like it is going to come through the side of the case. After warmup, the noise goes away.

In fact, I had the clutch basket replaced at about 18k miles and this took care of the problem. But I know have 45k miles on my Bird and it is making the noise again.

When we pulled the first one, my mechanic told me that the "rebound" springs had collasped....

My dealer did this as a warranty repair but told me that they couldn't handle it under warranty after that first time so it looks like this one will be on my nickel.

I had a 2000 Bird, that I put 28k miles on before trading it in on the Red One and I never had this problem.

I have seen this mentioned on one of the UK websites.

I bought my '99 with 11000 miles, and it always made that noise.

When i start my bike from cold, the engine revs up to +-1.500 r.p.m. (it's difficult to hear the noise at this point). After a minute or so, the engine drops the iddle speed to the 900 - 1000 r.p.m. range.

At this point, the engine isn't at it's normal operating temperature yet, so the iddle is not "100%" stable (it is slightly irregular), and that's when i start to hear the clutch noise.

After it warms up (to the normal operating temperature) the noise goes away.

It's strange and a little annoying at first, but a lot of Bird's do the same noise, so...i don't care about it anymore.

And i've also found out a way of not earing the noise: when the iddle speed drops, i start ridding it (gently) until the temperature is at it's normal operating range. :)

But i also have my left clutch cover scraped... :sad:

thanks to all for the responses; bike went down hard on the right side and slid. the cover that was broken was the pulsar cover, the next one ahead of the clutch cover which was not scratched. Changed the dot 4 in the clutch system, bike is running new mobil 1 15 50 mileage 9400. I like the shoei idea so much i did that two; the old one is on my trophy shelf. pics of the bike are here... www.mvsunline.com/bambi