CBR1100XX.org Forum

What should I ask for

Dotetcher

I'm heading west with Linda in a month. We're taking the XX. Our destination is somewhere on the west coast.

By the time we leave (June 1st) my Bird will have over 125000 miles. I handle all mechanical issues with the bike except engine work. I want to take the bike to someone who knows what they're doing to go over the engine and make sure their are no major issues. Is there anything in particular I should be asking this person to check? Off the top of my head I'm thinking valves (check and adjust), sync carbs, which I guess would be minor tuneup issues. Anything else?

Thanks

Skip

Skip,

You're smart to do this stuff a month before you leave. Doing maintenance a few days before leaving can be problematic. In other words, you should ride the bike a bit after working on it, but before leaving for your trip. Just to make sure the maintenance was done correctly and nothing else was broken in the process. So don't delay any longer.

If your mechanic has the necessary shims in stock the valve adjustment can be done in a day. But count on a week or so if he/she has to order the needed shims.

I'm not recommending everything listed below, it's just some stuff to consider.

1. Steering head bearings - notchy? loose? binding?

2. Flush/replace coolant

3. Flush/replace fork oil

4. Replace engine oil & filter

5. Replace headlight bulbs

6. Replace R/R (I carry a spare with me)

7. Repace battery - how old is the battery?

8. Replace air filter

9. Lube throttle and choke cables

10. Clean/Lube under the throttle tube

11. Replace spark plugs - I like the NGK Iridiums

12. Replace grips - I like the BMW sport-touring grips

13. Inspect/Replace wheel bearings

14. Inspect/Replace brake pads

15. Inspect/Replace fork seals

6. Replace R/R (I carry a spare with me)

Ya, if I had to pick 1 thing to either replace before I go or carry a spare of, it would be the R/R. Getting stuck somewhere because you've got no power and no dealer anywhere (that I've found) has it in stock, makes for a really crappy trip.