CBR1100XX.org Forum

190 tyre on the Bird

R1000

I know the issue using a 190/50 tyre on the Bird has been debated to death, and I have had no intention to try using one. However, the bike will be dynoed tomorrow and the Z6 rear is totally out. The shops are closed so I mounted the GSX R's Michelin Power 2CT 190/50 on the Birds 5.5" rim.

To my great surprise, the combination work very well :icon_biggrin: The Michelin tyre is a lot lighter than the Z6, and the profile is much better than the Z6, that was flattened due to a lot of driving to work on almost straight roads. Simply, the bike handles much better than it have ever done with the Metzeler Z6. It also turn in better, which may be the result of also putting a MP 2CT in front.

When I searched for information I found the 190 vs. 180 on 5.5” rims to be debated a lot. Some reports the combination to work like shit, while others and even some people running fast on track say it work very well, as I now have found. I also noted that the Ducati 999R -06 is provided with a 190 tyre on a 5.5" rim from factory, which kind of killed my need to question if the combination will work. I guess a 180 Michelin tyre would work even better, and that a 190 Z6 would be worse than a 180 Z6. But I'm really happy with the 190 Michelin rear and the chassi gained a lot from this. The bike have a 6 mm shim and a fully adjustable rear shock, and the front is stiffened with WP springs.

Of course it is going to feel better than a squared off Z6. As you already stated, the lighter carcass and generally better profile will help as well. You basically went from a sport touring tire to a tire more heavily biased toward the sport side of things.

The 190 tire on a 5.5" rim might work well on a Ducatti but, when compared to a Blackbird, the steering geometry is not even on the same planet. Shorter (by far) wheelbase, different swingarm geometry and steering head angles. The focus is different as well as the 999 is essentially a race bike with a few street accutermants. It also has a steering damper to help cope with slight instabilities. The focus of the bike is not straight line stability but quick and easy turn in, which is aided by the taller and narrower profile given the tire on the narrower rim.

The only way to be sure about this stuff would be to fit a 180 and 190 and run them back to back over the same roads at the same pace. With that comparison in mind, I think you would find the 190 to be a reluctant turner on the 'bird with a distinctly tippy feeling once turned in as the squished sidewalls will not contribute the same stability over minor bumps and wiggles of the road surface.

Also the Ducati will benefit in turns with a 180 tyre, as any bike having a 5.5" rim would when it comes to quick cornering. Still, the change from a worn 180 Z6 to an almost new 190 MP 2CT was astonishing. The usual intense tail wiping in a bumpy high speed corner that I pass every day was completely cured with the new tyre.

My experience is that the 190 will of course feel better than the old tire, but it only takes 1000-1500 miles for the handling to significantly deteriorate. Fine if you are driving on the highway, but increasingly squirmy in the twisty bits. Best to go with the right size unless you are taking a highway only trip.

My experience is that the 190 will of course feel better than the old tire, but it only takes 1000-1500 miles for the handling to significantly deteriorate. Fine if you are driving on the highway, but increasingly squirmy in the twisty bits. Best to go with the right size unless you are taking a highway only trip.

I understand, the 190 is not the first choice for me either. I must use it to have a tyre for the dyno tomorrow, later I'll go back to 180 and the soft MP's are overkill the way this bike I used . The forecast is snow here tomorrow and I need to drive to another location :icon_sad: In case its more than light flings melting directly, the dyno has to be cancelled.