CBR1100XX.org Forum

97 bird won't start

cow_bob

I've got a 1997 bird with just over 5,000 original miles. I went riding all day Saturday and I had no troubles. The first thing Sunday morning, I went out to crank it to go to work and it would turn over but it wouldn't fire. I'm in the process of changing the spark plugs and I'm hoping that'll fix it. I'm trying to follow the owners manual but I'm not having much luck. Wouldn't it be easier to get to by taking off the gas tank? Any kind of help would be appreciated. I'm trying to avoid taking it to the shop and paying a fortune.

Thanks

Its so easy to remove the tank on a carbed bike I would definitly do it. Do you have the tool kit? The spark plug socket Honda provides in it works great. I'd say it is probably plugs. Have you ever had them changed before?

Where are you located? There may be a board member near you that can help.

Its so easy to remove the tank on a carbed bike I would definitly do it. Do you have the tool kit? The spark plug socket Honda provides in it works great. I'd say it is probably plugs. Have you ever had them changed before?

Where are you located? There may be a board member near you that can help.

I live in East Texas (Kilgore). I've got the tool kit that came with the bike. The bike was and still is in perfect condition when I bought it. This is the first problem I've had out of the bike (with the exception of forking over $600+ for tires from my local honda dealer.) I'll take the tank off tonight and see if new plugs fix it.

Man, I would not do the plugs. 5,000 miles? It cant be the plugs in my book but you may want to check the air filter too (you're pullingthe tank).

A 97 with 5000 original miles means this one sat a lot. My money is the carbs but we still need more info.

Is it stock?

How's the battery?

How does the gas in the tank smell? Old?

Does it turn over and not fire?

I think there is an online manual around here somewhere. I'd give it a look and see what tit says. Good luck.

Check this out Spark Plug Changes, I changed mine a few weeks ago at ~ 49000km and I have done ~17000 on mine ( not sure how many before I bought the bike :? ). I used this write up by Warchild to help with the change as the manual has you removing the nose cone, radiator/oil cooler and lots of other unnecessary stuff. The only things I found different from the write up was that on my carb bird - I just removed the tank as it was easier than mucking around propping it up ( espescially as I went and filled it the night before :icon_wall: ), there was no Pair system at all :icon_surprised: , there are 9 screws in the air cleaner cover not 7 and no IAT sensor, there is no bracket for the coils just the two bolts through plastic lugs on the airbox, I needed to remove the infill panels to get the airbox with the ram ducts out and there are no " intake funnels " on top of the air box. There should be a spark plug socket in your stock tool kit and a 10/12mm ring spanner that goes over the hex shaft on the SP socket, I do not know whether you could get a normal plug socket and extension in there ( certainly a 1/2 drive would not fit :icon_nono: ) maybe a 3/8 or 1/4 drive and socket :icon_think: It actually looks like a bigger job than it is - it took me ~ 2 1/4 hr :icon_eek: but I had never removed the tank before :icon_surprised: next time I reckon under an hour :icon_biggrin:

This bird is completely stock. I bought it from a dealer and don't know much history on it. There was a receipt in the owners manual for new plugs dated back in early 2004. The battery might be going but it seems to be turning over just fine. Like you said, this thing has sat a lot so theres probably many things that should be replaced (IE. filter, plugs, ) The bike still had factory tires on it when I bought it. The dealer got a kick outta that. Told me they don't make those tires anymore and haven't for awhile. I need to get my bike back on the road before I do something stupid like buying a new one....hahaha Thanks for all the help.

I've got a 1997 bird with just over 5,000 original miles. I went riding all day Saturday and I had no troubles. The first thing Sunday morning, I went out to crank it to go to work and it would turn over but it wouldn't fire. I'm in the process of changing the spark plugs and I'm hoping that'll fix it. I'm trying to follow the owners manual but I'm not having much luck. Wouldn't it be easier to get to by taking off the gas tank? Any kind of help would be appreciated. I'm trying to avoid taking it to the shop and paying a fortune.

Thanks

Lets not be rebuilding the engine for starters.....

*Does it have gas?

*Is the choke on?

*Is the kill switch on? (I believe if there's a short in the control, the motor will crank even with the kill switch off, but not fire. I've heard of this occuring, but never seen it myself. Something to check.)

It's got half a tank of fresh gas. I tried with and without the choke with no luck. I've heard of the kill switch going out but I'm not sure of an easy way to check and see if it's causing the problem.

Before changing parts, check that the vacuum hose is connected to the petcock,

or if it is cracked. It's the one coming out from the engine to the front of the petcock.

It happened to my wife’s bike. The hose was cracked at the end, and had fallen off.

I cut of 2 cm, and reconnected it.

post-2671-1174168197.jpg

I just checked all the hoses under the tank and they all look good. In fact, everything on this bike looks brand new. Is it possible that the battery is strong enough to turn the starter but not strong enough to completely start the engine? This is my first bike I've had to work on, if you couldn't tell already. A buddy of mine said it sounded like the coils were bad but I'm not sure how to check them.

Are you in the Kilgore over by Tyler? It's a little far for me to ride if you are. If you're down by Victoria, I might be able to help out. Anyway, from what I can see in the shop guide, it looks like you could take apart the kill switch and bridge it pretty easily- that would tell you what you need to know about that.

Is it possible that the battery is strong enough to turn the starter but not strong enough to completely start the engine?

Yes, this has happened to me on more than one bike. Try charging the battery, it don't cost anything.

Is it possible that the battery is strong enough to turn the starter but not strong enough to completely start the engine?

Yes, this has happened to me on more than one bike. Try charging the battery, it don't cost anything.

I'll give it a try. As far as the kickstand switch goes, I usually crank it in neutral with the bike on the stand so the switch wouldn't have an effect. I'm about 75% sure it's gonna be something stupid like a faulty switch and I'll have dismantled my bike for nothing.

There is a kill switch in your kickstand. Just to be sure I would sit on the bike, raise the kickstand and try starting it while in neutral. That is after you have fully charged the battery.

Additionally, there is an electrical connector under the seat; which leads forward from the battery to under the tank. Make sure it is tightly connected.

Well I gave up and took it to the dealer today. Thanks for all the help but I know when I'm over my head.

What did you find out from the dealer?

Turns out the petcock wigged out on me and filled up one of the piston chambers with gasoline. Their gonna replace it, the plugs, and the air filter and it's gonna cost me less than the price of a new set of tires! That's good news to me, I was thinking the worse. I had almost convinced myself to go get one of the new cbr600rr's.

• 2 weeks later...
I got my bird back on Saturday and pulls harder than it ever has. :icon_smile: The bike still smells likes gas though. I'm not sure I should be worried or not.

The gas smell should have been gone by the time you got home from the dealer. Since they worked in on the petcock that's the first place I'd look for a leak.