CBR1100XX.org Forum

How hot did your bird get on the Dyno?

silverbird1100

I don't know anything about dyno's but you'd think this bike would roast with that little fan trying to simulate a 60mph windblast. How can they get an accurate fuel/air mix with it running 212F+?

I was thinking of taking my fairing off before taking it down for dyno day. Whaada ya think?

the DINO { dyno} has two fans that are turn to the rad. It did not get over 3/4 on the gauage.

I did take the side fairing off.Ron

giant fan in the front blowing air like mad, and still ran up into the high 240's (02' digital gauge) within a few seconds..

240+ Huh? That's fucking hot and would give in no way an accurate reading. Do they compensate to simulate the engine running 60 friggin degrees cooler? That's got to be hard on the engine, no?

no compensation was given that I know of.. My bike is normally at around 180 - 190 depending on the day. She will get to 210 on the hottest summer day if I get caught behind a car slows me down..

I did see 248 once stuck in traffic and I just shut the bike off and waited till I fired her back up.

I don't like seeing mine go past 220, so I didn't really like seeing it up that high that fast on the dyno..

Whole reason most places have you sign a waiver saying they aren't liable for your bike blowing up..

This thread brings up a question I've had for a while: how do the dyno runs simulate

the ram air? It seems to that they would have to be pushing air into the ram air ports

in order to get a true horsepower reading out of the Blackbird. Do they do this?

Curious minds want to know. :icon_think:

it don't. There are only a handful of places that have the ability to force air and increase it like your actually running at that speed and get your air box pressurized to make the ram air work. Most are private owned and cost a fortune even for races teams to use them.

You can tweek your settings on a PCIII to dump alittle more fuel like 1% or 2% to help if you really wanted to..

he keep a close eye on the temp. he shut it off 3 times to let it cool.

The bikes fan never came on. so I realy don't know the temp.

what he did was add 2% richness to the map when he got done with the run. this was to compensate for the ram air.

I don't think the bike got to hot like I said he kept a close eye on the temp, Ron

I didn't look at the temp guage the 3 times he shut it down. the times I did look most of the time it was about normal, 1 or 2 times it was about half way.

I didn't know how much was invaled in a dyno, didn't know he would take it up to the limiter so many times.

I maybe wrong, but seams to me you should know for sure that your engine is good before you have a dyno done.

if it makes it through a dyno you can say your engine is tough, Ron

A respectfull dyno operator will let the bike cool down to a minimum of 195f before making any pulls. It's common sense. At least that's what my guy ended up doing. Fans not kicking in is a problem though. When my bike was up there , there were 3 blowers forcing air through the radiator and still the bike took some time to cool down at a high idle.

Although after reading this, it did pop a question into my head. I don't think the guy who made the map for my bike added any fuel at WOT to compensate for the ram air. It looks like I'll need to bring a laptop to the drag strip the next time I go out there. I'm dying to go faster than 133.5 mph. The only other way would be for me to loose 30+ lbs.

beondwacko

I realy repect this guy. He builds many all out race bikes for the top racers In Pro-Mod [ AMA-Prostar racing org.

he has a drag bike that runs 4.40 in the 1/8.

He does mostly Busa. and he tells me that it does make a difference on adding 2% richer. he said it will make a diff. in drag raceing.

It was my understanding that it was 2% across the RPM range. it may be only in the upper RPM range, let me know if you need to know all or just upper RPM range.

let me know if it helps you to add the 2%, Ron