CBR1100XX.org Forum

Radiator Fans

cbr1100xxflame

Tonight I took my side faring off because of high temp and excess Engine Ice after I ride on the ground.

03 Bird

1. I have a question about Wrapping the Headers with heat wraps like we use on cars to reduce the heat near the Radiator. Has anyone tried this yet?

2. Also has anyone had luck in adding a large cooling fan? I thought I could add 1 in front of the Radiator but not sure if it would help.

3. Last one and not sure. Above the radiator there is a smaller size cooling radiator what is that for?

Header wraps can trap moisture and cause the headpipes to rust out. Don't recommend you trying that.

I have actually added a second radiator fan to my bike and the amperage draw was so great it requires you to increase RPM's to keep it running, which kills any cooling effect. I tried two different size fans, and it did very little to cool the bike because you had to rev it up to 3,000+ to keep the lights from going dim. I have yet to find anybody who makes a replacement blade for our bikes that would increase airflow through the radiator. That would be the best option I think.

The little radiator you speak of is the engine oil cooler.

After running the bird in the sand hills on very hot days with very low gears, I'm convinced if your hot is tuning related. I could change temps with program changes.

Tonight I took my side faring off because of high temp and excess Engine Ice after I ride on the ground.

03 Bird

1. I have a question about Wrapping the Headers with heat wraps like we use on cars to reduce the heat near the Radiator. Has anyone tried this yet?

2. Also has anyone had luck in adding a large cooling fan? I thought I could add 1 in front of the Radiator but not sure if it would help.

3. Last one and not sure. Above the radiator there is a smaller size cooling radiator what is that for?

When you say 'high temp' what do you mean? I've had the bird out in stop and go traffic on the 101 and have the temperature gauge start moving up quickly, but its never been a problem. Does the engine get hot? Yes, its an engine. Does it get hot and show any signs of running poorly, cooling failure, boil over, and anything of that nature? Never...

I think alot of people see the temperature gauge move more than a few degrees and overreact. Of course its going to get warmer, but that doesn't mean that the cooling system isn't doing its job....

What temps are you seeing on your 03 that you think are too high?

something I wanted to add but never did is a manual override switch that can activate the fan when I want. When I know i'm going to be trap in traffic, I want to start the fan BEFORE it goes near the red line. Did someone know where to connect this switch?

something I wanted to add but never did is a manual override switch that can activate the fan when I want. When I know i'm going to be trap in traffic, I want to start the fan BEFORE it goes near the red line. Did someone know where to connect this switch?

the wire going to the thermo switch on the radiator, is a ground when the engine is hot. Add a wire to the wire going to it and run it to a switch and then to a ground. When you turn the switch on it will ground the wire just like high temp would, causing the fan to come on.