CBR1100XX.org Forum

Seriously considering HID kit...opinions requested

TuffguyF4i

I'm not going to get a projector kit, even though i know they have better lighting distribution. I really don't feel like chopping up my headlight housing... So heres the question....

Should i do it to high or low beam? I was thinking high beam since then i could control when it is on or not, eliminating the need for adding a switch that prevents the light from coming on and off when you start it (decreases bulb life i am told). Plus, i pretty much leave my high beam on all the time during the day, and my night riding is somewhat limited.

If i remember right the high beam is on the bottom, and the low is on the top....right?

What are your thoughts guys? Help me think this through.

Thanks.

My thoughts?

I have HID low and high. And that's what I think.

I second that motion.

Once you have HID, you wonder how you ever went without it. Especially if you're like me and get caught in the dark with your tinted shield more often than your clear one :icon_redface:

My thoughts?

I have HID low and high. And that's what I think.

I second that motion.

Once you have HID, you wonder how you ever went without it. Especially if you're like me and get caught in the dark with your tinted shield more often than your clear one :icon_redface:

I was riding saturday and got caught after dark in a light rain with the dark visor to couldn't see a damn thing. I finally gave up and rode with the visor up so I could see. The headlights on the old FZR suck badly. The worst part was I got home and realized I had the clear shield in the visor pocket on my new joe rocket jacket :icon_doh:

i'm puttin HID low beams and a higher output high beam bulb becuase of the time it taked HID to warm up

You're only talking seconds, Travis. Plus, the low beam is still on.

If you're looking for "flash to pass", then you have an initial bright flash on the HID, as well.

Trust me, the lighting is worth it.

Buy from Andy, "HIDseller" on ebay.

$200 for the complete kit for both high and low.

But you can not leave the High beam on during the day with the HID installed. People will pull guns on you as the HID will blind them in daylight on High beam !!!!!!!

Check mine out if you want to see them in action before you buy. I got the bulb kit through the group buy (the guy mentioned above.)

I have high and low. It's such an incredible difference, it's amazing. Installation isn't too bad... you have to pull out the gauge cluster and the flat black filler panels around it. Plug and play for wiring.

I went a step further and installed a headlight switch off of a european spec bird. It allows me to turn off the headlight... so I can start the bike, then flick a switch and the headlamp comes on. That saves the bulb from going on and off when the starter button is pressed.

I have both high and low beam.

I swear by them.

Best light EVER !!!

Warm up time on high beam is about 5 seconds, so no big deal for me.

I also just hold down the start button when turning the key, thus eliminating the headlight comming on prior to the bike start up.

Rich

I have HID on my LOW beam, with a toggle actuator. What everyone says about both bulbs HID is probably true, brighter than holy fuck. BUT I have a modulator on my high beam during the day, and I would be willing to bet I am more noticed than someone burning blue at noon.

Check mine out if you want to see them in action before you buy. I got the bulb kit through the group buy (the guy mentioned above.)

I have high and low. It's such an incredible difference, it's amazing. Installation isn't too bad... you have to pull out the gauge cluster and the flat black filler panels around it. Plug and play for wiring.

I went a step further and installed a headlight switch off of a european spec bird. It allows me to turn off the headlight... so I can start the bike, then flick a switch and the headlamp comes on. That saves the bulb from going on and off when the starter button is pressed.

Where can i see your pics?

I have a couple of pics with the lights on, but not of the installation process.

What I meant by "you should look at mine" is, "you should ride down here to the NL area, check out my headlights, and go get ribs and wings with us!"

Duh! :icon_wall:

I have a couple of pics with the lights on, but not of the installation process.

What I meant by "you should look at mine" is, "you should ride down here to the NL area, check out my headlights, and go get ribs and wings with us!"

Duh! :icon_wall:

Sounds good!! Just wait till it warms up!!!

That HID seller guy online is selling the HID 5300 kits (2 ballast, 2 bulbs) for $185. Seems like a good deal...is it? Is 5300 the way to go? Is the brand any good? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...E:B:BOCOR:MOT:1

Looks like the price went up reciently. It was at 100 bucks a little while ago.

I did some research. It says the average life of the ballasts is 3-4 years? Does that sound right? I honestly don't want to be replacing them in 2-3 yrs if they fall a little short on the life cycle.

That's the kit I got. Sweeeeeeeeeet.

So easy to do, a caveman could do it.

Like Sgt Ski!

I think your giving my polish ass more credit than it deserves on that one :icon_biggrin:

Looks like the price went up reciently. It was at 100 bucks a little while ago.

I did some research. It says the average life of the ballasts is 3-4 years? Does that sound right? I honestly don't want to be replacing them in 2-3 yrs if they fall a little short on the life cycle.

I've had mine in for a year, so I can't tell you anything about longevity.

However, I CAN tell you that even if the ballasts needed to be replaced every two years or so, I'd still do the upgrage... it's THAT incredible of a difference.

If I remember to, I'll post up a pic or two tonight, I have my old Hurricane with standard bulbs nexxt to my Blackbird with the HIDs on... it's amazing.

That's the kit I got. Sweeeeeeeeeet.

So easy to do, a caveman could do it.

Like Sgt Ski!

I think your giving my polish ass more credit than it deserves on that one :icon_biggrin:

I'm not giving your ass any kind of credit... yet :icon_twisted:

I have HID on my LOW beam

This is a very logical way to go. Particularily if you incorporate a headlight modulator on your H7 for daytime riding (safety farkle) :icon_angel: . I think that a blinking high beam coupled to an intense low beam light will easily do the trick :icon_shocked:, while avoiding unwanted police attention. You can always upgrade the stock H7 highbeam bulb to a brighter, whiter bulb to get a better match to your HID low beam element characterstics, too (Silverstars, PIAA, etc.).

Note:

HID in high beam aplications don't seem to tolerate or perform well in frequent high/low switching scenarios (short intervals between oncoming cars, urban riding). My HID automotive conversions have halogen high beam bulbs incorporated into the same housings for just that reason.

I find that the HID low beam is so bright that about the only time I ever use my High Beam is to get the slow car ahead of me to move to the right !!

Line up Bird on left yellow line in fast lane pointing directly at the outside left rear view mirror of the slow cage in front on me and bingo, hit the high beam and watch it come on strong over 3-5 seconds and actually see the cage driver shield their eyes in the mirror reflection !!

They either slow down more and move over or just move over quickly !! Even with tinted windows !!

Just what those Florida blue hairs need to see in their rear view while driving :icon_twisted: . A blinding ball of white light quickly approaching :icon_shocked: . You want 'em to think that their end is near, and have a stroke or something!!!??? :icon_oldman::icon_angel:

Darwin rules!!

Survival of the Fittest

John what HID are you running? 5300k 6000k?

inquiring minds want to know