CBR1100XX.org Forum

OH SNAP Goes my Snitz Racing Speed Link

Rales

Rales, I have a question. Was the link free to rotate at both ends? In particular at the time you took it off was the end with the nuts able to move freely by hand?

One might guess that the end near the break was not totally free to rotate, this would cause such a failure to occur.

Another thing to check is clearance through the entire travel of the swingarm, are you sure that it never interfered with other parts?

It is worth noting that threaded rod should really not be used in this fashion, unless that is a custom made piece with rolled threads, not cut threads.

I am currently in the process of adding a NSR 250 rear suspension to a cafe racer that I own (the NSR 250 has the same plates and link as a Bird) as well as lowering my 05 Blackbird because of short legs.

As a result of this I have had a very good look at this suspension system and I do not believe that lowering links are the way to go.

I would prefer to make new plates that relocate the shock mount in a lower position rather than fitting an adjustable link.

The use of a link causes the triangular plates to rotate around the pivot where they attach to the swing arm and changes the angle that affects the rising rate.

Making new plates is the same net effect as fitting the shim at the top of the shock but can lower or lift depending on the position of the hole.

I believe that the link will result in increased loading and incorrect suspension operation.

John S

Both ends rotated on the bearings properly. If your asking about the threaded rod moving around inside of the aluminum ears, the one end is screwed into it and has two set screws placed in it, the other end has the two nuts compressing the back aluminum ear. It was tight enough I was unable to rotate the 15/16 nuts by hand or wiggle the remainder of the threaded rod at all.

Rales, I have a question. Was the link free to rotate at both ends? In particular at the time you took it off was the end with the nuts able to move freely by hand?

One might guess that the end near the break was not totally free to rotate, this would cause such a failure to occur.

Another thing to check is clearance through the entire travel of the swingarm, are you sure that it never interfered with other parts?

It is worth noting that threaded rod should really not be used in this fashion, unless that is a custom made piece with rolled threads, not cut threads.

• 1 month later...

I received this today via e-mail 19 days after I shipped them mine:

We emphasis with the problems you have encountered with the Speedlink

-lowering links.

Since we took over the product line we have not had any similiar complaints

from purchasers

of the product. Upon examination, we did find that the bearings were

frozen, not allowing any

of the rotational movement of this part of the suspension.

The cause for this is difficult to determine but can be any of the

following:

(1) Improper installation of grease seals

(2) Defective bearing

(3) Bearing worn out from use

(4) Inadequate routine maintenance

We do value the relationship we have with the motorcycling public and

recognize each

as a person, deserving of an occasional break from complications such as

this. So, although

the purchase was thru Dave Shcnitz via the earlier manufaturer, we are

providing a replacement

at our cost in the hopes that will somewhat alleviate the problems you

encounterd.

We appreciate your understanding and fully expect if your are vigilante in

addressing the

potential casues for failure listed above, you will not encounter this

issue again.

Thans you

Naarden, Inc

The address it will be sent to is :

I will admit I never installed the seals for the bearings into the link. However the bearings where anything but seized and moved freely. Either way I will have a replacement shortly on my door step. I wont be using.

Click to enlarge

sl109t.jpg

The only way something like this breaks, is if it is NOT in tension or compression. It is a shearing force across the bolt from misallingment. That is why it broke close to the face of the nut. There was probally a twisting action going on.

Could the swing arm be out of allignment somehow or bent? How about the motor mount?

Sorry TuffguyF4i I have to disagree with you on this one.

Even in normal operation with no misalignment there will be significant loads placed on the threaded rod.

The right angle on the end of the link ensures that whenever a force is applied either in compression or extension it is acting through a lever that is the length of the distance through the centreline of the threaded rod to the centre point of the mounting block bolt hole.

This will apply a bending moment to the threaded part of the link that will occur beside the locknut. I would bet that the unit broke beside the nut and probably at the bottom of a thread groove as this point is a natural stress riser.

This is an inherant weakness in this design and will in my opinion always have potential for problems.

IMHO it is simply not good engineering practice to offset the end of the link in this manner.

JohnS

Yup...i hear what you are saying. I used shearing and compresion/tension backwards.

I thought the same thing about the moment the second i saw it. Every time there is any stress the bolt is getting worked.