CBR1100XX.org Forum

Bouncing Tach and Buckin' Bird

BeauXX

Has anyone else ever experienced this problem? (2003 XX)

I just finished going up and over the Cherahola skyway, stopped in Tellico Plains, TN and was all set to turn around and go back over.

Then my tach starts to bounce back and forth between 0 and 8000, my FI light goes on an off, the bike starts to take off, then stop (with no movement of the throttle) like it's trying to buck me off.

I pull in the clutch and it dies, I pop the clutch and it starts again.

I pull over, and find if I let it sit for a while it starts and can go a couple more miles until it does it again.

I get back to Tellico Plains (it early sunday morning in this booming metropolis, how I got back home to MN from there is another story).

I take it to the dealer here in MN, it's too cold for a real road test, but they tell me it was due to loose battery cables. (????????)

This is the second time this has happened. The first time, it kind of happened in stages, a little buck or hesitation, then fine. I took it in and had a full tune up and they couldn't find anything.

Now I'm afraid to take it too far away from home and get stranded again.

Any suggestions?

Sounds like a funky diagnosis but that same exact thing happened to me on my '01 bird last summer.

It was mostly my fault though. Put in a new battery and didn't secure the positive battery terminal completely. A few days later it started jerking all to shit while I was about 100 miles from my house(Father's Day now that I think back on it)...

I pull off the bike not sure what to the hell was going on.... pop the seat off and see the cable was just flopping around.

Screwed it back down and made sure everything lined up correctly, took my time to make sure the screw was fully seated through cable and the reverse nut(this was where I didn't pay attention when installing the battery in the first place) inside the battery terminal port.

Never had a problem after that.