CBR1100XX.org Forum

Tires

vancouver

I'm getting ready to order a set of the Storms, and have found that Southwest Moto Tires have a great deal at $244 to the door.

I've been happy with the Avon Azaro's getting 10,500 out of the rear, and hoping that the Storms are better.

http://arizonamoto.com/Merchant2/merchant....gory_Code=Storm

I found a source for Avon Storms; $251.00 Can. front and rear. plus tax etc. What say you all? This is not a tire tread just a tire price thread.

As a fellow BB owner and working at a Honda shop, I can get the Avon Storm tyres for: 103.40 + shipping Frt & 140.34 + shipping RR. What do you think? Would you like this price?

Depends on shipping. Some places have contract shipping with UPS or Fedex and can really save money there. Other's think that shipping is simply an excuse to drag another $20 out of the customer to cover the exorbitant costs of actually preparing an item to ship.

Since I would be paying for the shipping, it would be the cheapest and best I could find!

Speaking of Tires and Rubber.......

Did anybody else see that cool Nano tube technology they are developing for rubber tires on "Future cars" the other day ? And how it makes the Rubber 11 times more flexable and could double traction and milage numbers.

It was very interesting.

Since I would be paying for the shipping, it would be the cheapest and best I could find!

swmototires.com I just bought two pairs of tires from them this month. Got them immediately, they ship the tires for free as long as you buy a pair, and since they ONLY sell tires, the rubber was all new and fresh manufacturer, which is something to think abought when buying tires. You wouldn't go to a sushi restaurant that did not have a high traffic flow , would you?

http://arizonamoto.com/Merchant2/merchant....gory_Code=Storm

I found a source for Avon Storms; $251.00 Can. front and rear. plus tax etc. What say you all? This is not a tire tread just a tire price thread.

As a fellow BB owner and working at a Honda shop, I can get the Avon Storm tyres for: 103.40 + shipping Frt & 140.34 + shipping RR. What do you think? Would you like this price?

Thanks but I don't think that will work for me concidering the $ exchange rate and shipping to Canada costs. I would have to add 14% plus if it went through FexEx/UPS(which I dislike because they add on brokerage fees) They could land here $100 more than if I buy them here. Tires are not a small item and you can't camaflage them. When I receive stuff from England, I do ok.

• 1 month later...

I've now completed several thousand km on a set of Avon Storms on a South Island tour of New Zealand and they're the best tyre I've ever fitted to the Blackbird. Like bikes themselves, tyres are always a compromise or more accurately; a case of "fitness for purpose". The attachment details my experience so far and I'll do an update as they approach end of life. hope that you find it interesting.

Cheers,

Geoff

Avon_Storm_evaluation.pdf

Geoff, I just picked up a set of storms for my FJR1300. The rear tire tread certainly looks meaty enough to last a while.

I was wondering if you might be due for steering stem bearing replacement on your bike, based on it's current mileage?

It might also be a good time to upgrade to the new tapered roller style bearings while you are at it. :icon_think:

Geoff, I just picked up a set of storms for my FJR1300. The rear tire tread certainly looks meaty enough to last a while.

I was wondering if you might be due for steering stem bearing replacement on your bike, based on it's current mileage?

It might also be a good time to upgrade to the new tapered roller style bearings while you are at it. :icon_think:

Hi Al

That's what I might have thought except that I had new bearings in 5000 km ago and one of my friends who experienced the problem has an almost brand new 'bird. As I mentioned, the problem was alluded to on a BMW website but I can't find it again. The Avon importer in NZ has sent my comments back to Avon so there may be some follow-up. I'll post again if there is.

In the meantime, here's NZ's South Island taken on our recent road trip.

post-625-1174427628.jpg

I was talking with a a ZX-14 rider on another forum from Western PA and he says the Storm is becoming real popular with the 14 crowd. Good grip and long life, one guy even has a turbo 14 and loves the Storm. I'll have to try a set after the av45/46 combo wears out.