CBR1100XX.org Forum

Radiator Question

apprenticeXX

We have all talked about the Birds temperment to run hot. My brother drives race cars with 1000CC motorcycle engines and he told me to try a differt pressure rated radiator cap. He says a couple pounds different could keep it an additional 5 - 8 degs cooler. Does anyone know about this or have tried it? I am putting in water wetter in next week to help.

A higher pressure cap won't change the running temperature at all.

What it will do is raise the boiling point, which would only be required if you're consistently running 240-250 degrees.

+1

• 2 weeks later...
I'm still waiting for someone to show me that the XX runs hot.

The temperature gauge rises when you sit and idle, its true. A higher pressure cap isn't going to fix that issue.

+1 I rode my 98 in +42C days over Dec/Jan and the gauge never went above 1/2 way even while at slow speeds and while I noticed the heat through my Alter ego vented jacket my legs did not feel that warm with my Draggin jeans on ( while riding anyway :icon_rolleyes: )

Funny, as soon as Honda but a numerical readout for a temp gauge, every one of them ran hot! When it was just an analog gauge, the needle never went into the red and none of them ran hot. Can this have something to do with people not knowing how hot an engine is supposed to run? Naa.......... must be the engine.

Funny, as soon as Honda but a numerical readout for a temp gauge, every one of them ran hot! When it was just an analog gauge, the needle never went into the red and none of them ran hot. Can this have something to do with people not knowing how hot an engine is supposed to run? Naa.......... must be the engine.

[/quot

Same thing happened when Honda introduced the 5th generation VFR (98-2001) with the LCD numerical temperature readout. All the 5th gen owners we screaming about the bike running hot. Yes..........it must be the engine ???

With a 50/50 coolant mixture and a 16 lb. cap (1.1 Atm) boiling point is 262 F. Unless you have a cooling fan or temp sensor failure, you'll never see that.

My VFR boiled over once in traffic.........radiator cap had some sort of debris under the seal that prevented it from pressurizing the system. Without pressure, it boils @ 212 F......fan turns on @ 220 F. Cleaning the radiator cap solved the problem.