CBR1100XX.org Forum

Water pump woes

brianmacza

This morning I went for a brisk ride, and noticed water flooding out the lower right side of the fairing...

Trailered the bike home and diagnosed the problem as a blown water pump seal. Opened the water pump up and found that 4 of the blades on the impellor are GONE. Missing... not there at all.

Anyone ever had a water pump impellor disintegrate like this before?

This morning I went for a brisk ride, and noticed water flooding out the lower right side of the fairing...

Trailered the bike home and diagnosed the problem as a blown water pump seal. Opened the water pump up and found that 4 of the blades on the impellor are GONE. Missing... not there at all.

No, I haven't............................but I'd be more worried where the missing blades went !!!!!!!!!!!

Were the remaining blades rusty or damaged??

No, I haven't............................but I'd be more worried where the missing blades went !!!!!!!!!!!

They were lying loose in the pump housing... the pump rotates freely, just the seal failed due to chunks of metal scratching against it

(assuming again because there are score marks around the seal area) - if the seal hadn't been damaged I may never have noticed, I guess.

A new waterpump is quoted by the local Honda stealership at US$480 - how close is this to reality in the USA or UK? We get assraped by the manufacturers in South Africa as far as spares costs go. Might consider bringing one in if the costs are gonna be worthwhile.

They were lying loose in the pump housing... the pump rotates freely, just the seal failed due to chunks of metal scratching against it

(assuming again because there are score marks around the seal area) - if the seal hadn't been damaged I may never have noticed, I guess.

A new waterpump is quoted by the local Honda stealership at US$480 - how close is this to reality in the USA or UK? We get assraped by the manufacturers in South Africa as far as spares costs go. Might consider bringing one in if the costs are gonna be worthwhile.

E bay E bay E bay..................

Visit www.hdlparts.com for complete Parts fiche for all Honda makes and models

http://www.hdlparts.com/fiche_select.asp?m...r=19200-MAT-760

What a great site, thanks!

Most people are partial to University Honda or Ron Ayers around here but Honda Directline is owned by a good friend of mine and i di alot of OEM business with them. In this case the water pump assy was slightly cheaper than Ron Ayers.

Basically none of the dealers stock much if any OEM parts on hand so it takes like 7-10 days for get any Honda stuff in hand.

I buy about 20 CCT's a month and always takes about 10 days to get them to me.

www.hdlparts is an easy to use site.

If you need that shipped to you, I'm sure somebody here can help out. Smearing some old grease on it might lower its value somewhat for customs sake. (used parts, y'know....)

You sneaking thing you !!

I usually just take the parts out of the OEM packaging and ship as used low value items !! :-)

Reasonablt priced shipping either way

• 3 weeks later...

Ok... got a new water pump at last... the difference is not noticeable at first.. you have to look carefully to see which one failed.

old:

gallery_1700_481_34647.jpg

new:

gallery_1700_481_33652.jpg

Wonder what the hell happened....

[/quot

As rusty as the pump looks inside, I'd venture a guess that only water was used as a coolant and impeller corrosion took it's toll.

Make sure you use a 50/50 mixture of distilled water and a coolant with no silicates or phosphates. Honda makes a ready-mix that requires no dilution, but it's quite expensive. Some japenese auto makers have that type in thier dealership. Just read the label carefully to make sure it is phosphate and silicate free.

Here in the states it's readily available as Dex-Cool approved. I've used it in my last two bikes for a combined mileage of 300,000 miles with no cooling system failures (except for a couple of hoses).